 CAD / 262
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:13:56 GMT

Once upon a time, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

So let's drop back a bit. Who are the users? How do they do their job
now, and how do they WANT to do their job later? What process do they
follow? Should that process be changed?  Are there two distinct classes
of users? Do some people belong to both classes? Should the paradigms be
different or similar? Why or why not?

Discuss.

OK.  This is shorting the process, and completely unrealistic given my
current goals and contraints, but I imagine a very good approach for a
modeling interface would be like the following.

Make the UI look like a set of instructions.  Each step in the model
would be presented simultaneously, probably in a scrolling window.  So
the user would see that the steps are there all at the same time.
Within a single step, there would be little sense of part-order -- the
exact sequence of the parts wouldn't matter, as long as they were
within the same step.  Parts from previous steps would be slightly
faded, and the user would not be able to interact with those parts
(except maybe to tell the editor to move the part to a specific step).
The current part would be highlighted by brightening its
display--either white edge-lines, or brighter fill-colors.  There
would be no presentation of the textual version of the model-file.

The user could move from step-to-step by scrolling and selecting.
Parts could be moved from step-to-step by ctrl-keying.

Using keystrokes to move from part to another *might* scan
sequentially through the model (like LEdit currently does), but it
*might* be based on the spatial relationship of parts--when the user
presses the UpArrow, the closest piece above the current piece is
selected.  This is a tricky thing to implement, and would probably
need to be backed up mouse-based selection of parts.

How's that sound?

Steve