 CAD / 289
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:23:37 GMT

Once upon a time, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen)
wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

Make the UI look like a set of instructions.  Each step in
the model would be presented simultaneously, probably in a
scrolling window.

Karim Nassar commented:

Problem I would have with this is that I don't always
(actually hardly ever) insert steps in the model as I
build it.  I usually enter in the whole thing and then
figure out where the steps should go.  this interface
paradigm would be frustrating for me, I think.

And then Steve asked:

Does that mean the editor should auto-insert steps?

I don't think so.

If you want to use the instructions paradigm, then the
proper solution is most likely to let the user have an
option for handling every line as a separate step.

Wow.  That could mean hundreds of step-images, for large models at
least.

It should of cause be possible to choose a part by pointing
at it on the drawings (not as hard as it might sound).

True.  I can think of two approaches of the top of my head (use math
to do 3D hit-testing, or build a part-bitmap during rendering, and
lookup the clicked pixel in the part-bitmap).  But that doesn't help
if someone accidently hides a piece.

Now, can someone figure out a solution to the problem of using the
mouse to drag parts around the drawing?  Carsten Gnoerlich did this in
his BriCad program.  But I think in that program, dragging a part
would cause it to be moved 'into the screen' to the nearest solid
surface.  There wasn't anyway to hang a piece out in space.  Well,
maybe if you stacked two pieces, and then deleted the one on the
bottom.

Steve