 Adventurers / 95
Re: Arctic Adventurers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:15:08 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
That large sets apparently have to do lots of things to make
people (not us) consider them worth the price.

Ah, now I understand.

How do you determine the play value of any set?

It's hard (if not impossible). LEGO's current definition
seems to be related to how many traps, cars, planes, and
hidden chambers there are in the set.

I see your point.  I guess that it all goes back to the label on the boxes
that says ages 5-12.  I can't fault them for making the sets gimicky, but like
you, I wish for a little more 'meat and potatoes' in the box.  It can be
frustrating for us, but when I see kids play with the sets they seem
absolutely satisfied.  Bottom line is that more kids get legos than adults so
their desires are catered to on a larger scale.

Why not let the ship act as "base"? Then it would also make
sense to let it be slightly larger (and more functional)
than otherwise. - And there aren't that many corals and dead
volcanoes in the Mediterranean. ;-)

That makes sense to have a larger boat.  Your desire to have a big boat and my
desire to have islands tells me that there is still a strong desire among
collectors for anything related remotely to the Pirates line.  Your point
about coral and volcanoes in the Mediterranean is well taken.  I kind of put
my foot in my mouth on that one, duh.  Well, take care Jacob, I always look
forward to your thoughtful responses so keep 'em coming.

Mark L