 Adventurers / 52
Re: Favorite Adventurers vehicles (Re: 4x2ReVu: 5909)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:00:49 GMT

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:14:55 GMT, "Mark Lindsey" <markwars@fcmail.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.adventurers, Steve Bliss writes:
If the Amazon sets are as popular as the Egyptian sets were, I would not be
surprised to see a third subtheme appear.  But I'd bet the Amazon sets
haven't done as well--they're more expensive (per piece) than the Egyptian
sets, and the monuments/architecture isn't as interesting.

Steve I was wondering what you specifically found uninteresting about the
Amazon sets.  I found them much more vibrant and alive than any other lego
sets ever.  I love their attempt to do a jungle.  I can see your point on the
architecture, however there is not much in the world more architecturally
interesting than the Valley of the Kings area.

'Interesting' may have been a bad word-choice.  I *do* like the Amazon
sets.  Well, the blimp is kinda goofy.  Comparing Amazon to Egyptian, the
Amazon sets have a higher level of juniorization, the buildings are less
inspired, and the price/piece is higher.

I think what you consider 'vibrant and alive', I look at as 'loud and
chaotic'.

I also have doubts that "Artic Adventurers" could really carry a complete
subtheme.

Why not?  I can imagine igloos, kayaks, dog-sled teams, parka clad minifigs,
etc.  I think the sets themselves  could include a North and South Pole quest.
Can anybody think of others?  I would like to somehow involve a killer whale
in one, or maybe polar bears, walrus, or penguins.  Let me know what you
think, this is what keeps this hobby alive for all of us.

I can't imagine much in the way of large bases, which is the
meat-and-potatoes of the Adventurers line.  Imagine, if you will, the 2000
"Artic Adventurers" line:

- A large ($80) "North Pole Outpost", featuring two white 32x32 baseplates,
decorated with a half-a-dozen white BURPs.  Includes a SPUD dogsled, with 2
SPUD huskies.  Also an expedition tent and a red-and-white pole.  With 4
Adventurers, 2 adversaries, and a white snowmonster (AKA, Rockmonster).

- A medium ($40) "Inuit Village", featuring a white 16x32 baseplate,
decorated with several white igloos (made from BURPs).  Includes 6
villagers and various Adventurers.  Obligatory SPUD dogsled and 4 SPUD
huskies are also included.

These are deliberately bad examples, but I hope you see where I'm going
with this.  I just don't see the *building* possibilities in an Artic
theme.

Also, there's no treasure involved, so TLG will naturally assume such a
line would be dull.

If they do make an Artic line, and I'm totally wrong, and it's wonderful,
no one will be happier than me. :)

Steve