 Administrative / Suggestions / 1114
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:20:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
Yes. But (playing devil's advocate), flareups are kind of fun to read in a
"National Enquirer" kind of way (non-American translation: finding low pleasure
in reading trashy newspaper gossip).

It's fun to watch, not so fun to live.

I'm glad you said that, because its true, and an uncomfortable fact. I was
trying to find a way of saying it myself, but couldn't figure it out.

Here are some thoughts on how to minimise the "bad fun" effect.

Maybe I am lazy, but I'm more likely to post on a topic on the Top Stories list
than one that's not.  I don't have the statistics to prove it, but I guess that
this is the case for many people and for Lugnet as a whole.

Result: small flareups become big flareups once they hit the "Top Stories" list.

This is exacerbated by people highlighting posts which are likely to result in
discord. This is like pouring petrol on a fire. I suggest that highlighters be
made more accountable by showing their names in the highlight details page.

I'd also like to see a personalised "Top Stories" page by allowing people to set
their own weightings. I'd like to see more posts there from .shopping, .fabuland
and .space and less from .trains. I am sure that others would want different
weightings and some would be happy if they never saw a post from .color on their
"Top Stories" page.

There are some who argue that the weightings provided by the admins are a kind
of censorship. By making the weightings based on personal preferences, this
argument is neutralised.

Another cause for big flareups is excessive cross-posting. I think admins should
be able, willing and very ready to either move posts from one group to a more
appropriate group, and cancel a post from a group where it doesn't really belong
so long as it still appears in the group where it does belong.

Some would say that these proposals would cause Lugnet to become more
balkanised. Sadly, this is probably what Lugnet needs right now.