 Administrative / Suggestions / 1115
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:11:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Mark Jordan wrote:

snipped out some great suggestions.

This is exacerbated by people highlighting posts which are likely to result in
discord. This is like pouring petrol on a fire. I suggest that highlighters be
made more accountable by showing their names in the highlight details page.

Lugnet is a different then many forums because of personal disclosure of names.
There is more credibility instead of "hiding" behind nicknames, an alias or
allowing anonymous posters.  I truly think if "high/spot -lighting" was also
disclosed there would be more personal responsibility in that choice. It is way
too easy to be a bit self-serving or an instigator and highlight something that
is one, your own, or two, just going to make tempers flare.

It would also be nice to be able to retract your own "high/spot -light" as well.
For example, I know of one time, when I *wanted* to spotlight a moc, I gapped
out (it happens often) and unintentionally spotlighted my comments to said moc
instead.

Accountability is a power thing.

Janey "Oops this is a nickname, Red Brick"