 Administrative / Suggestions / 1122
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:28:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Calum Tsang wrote:

   I would like to suggest a “down-light” option. Enough downlights could moderate a post into oblivion. Then you would truly have a representation of the “community” opinion on something.

Seems worthy of exploration. The downside is that an important but unpopular message might get downchecked pretty badly.

That’s okay--say the community isn’t enlightened about certain topics. If they unvote “important” topics, it can’t be that “important” as a result. What that really says is, we’re gonna institute a mechanized form of mob rule. If it’s gonna be liberal “swear to your kids” parents or religious nutbars who build for god, then so be it. Let’em battle it out with a network of underlying metrics instead of overwhelming rhetoric.

   Interesting proposal. the threshold is somewhat reminiscent of the slashdot karma functionality, if you run at +5 you see very little chaff. Did you have that in mind at least in part?

That’s exactly what I’m thinking of...there’s a number of other websites that use social network / collaborative filtering, including Amazon, IMDB, etc which use the power of groups to moderate content (in the case of IMDB, it’s movies, Amazon, it’s recommendations and reviews etc) Heck, Am I Hot or Not.com is another example.

Maes and Terveen were the two authors that stick in my mind--there’s a pile of other research already on it, in a number of different applications. The software isn’t that hard, almost trivial. It’s just a matter of tuning it to the appropriate user context.

The major difference I see is the fact that I’d probably want to see enough negatives to destroy a message. Some threshold needs to be set, like 20 negatives or 30 negatives. The emphasis would be less on spotlighting good stuff, but more to get rid of what the community sees as unaccepatble.

Calum