 Administrative / Suggestions / 1128
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:19:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Calum Tsang wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

   It would also be nice to be able to retract your own “high/spot -light” as well. For example, I know of one time, when I *wanted* to spotlight a moc, I gapped out (it happens often) and unintentionally spotlighted my comments to said moc instead.

I would like to suggest a “down-light” option. Enough downlights could moderate a post into oblivion. Then you would truly have a representation of the “community” opinion on something.

You assume that the membership is representative of the community.(?)

I’ve been thinking about such a system all week, just because my thesis advisor told me to write up some project proposals:

Web Forum Moderation via Social Networks

Moderation of online chat forums is a tricky task, usually based around a select few administrators entrusted with the community good. Elected officials or just benevolent dictators, these administrators must walk the line between censorship and damage control when faced with “trolls” and “spammers”.

You forget that this is the friendliest place on the internet! ;)

   Once in a while, an online community is attacked by sociopaths looking to discredit or ruin a forum with spurious or offensive posts.

This project would develop a prototype system on a mainstream web board implementation which would establish ratings and rankings for users based on historical data, such as posting count and length of membership; then allow them to moderate down posts on their own. A global threshold would be established for all users at which posts disappear, given enough votes, a post can be eliminated forever with group consensus.

--

That said, uninformed people voting doesn’t seem to work very well: A large proportion of Americans voted Bush in again. Ugh. But even then, it’s what the group wanted, ignorant or not.

Hmm. Perhaps Kerry should be “eliminated forever”. ;)

Scott A

Calum