 Administrative / Suggestions / 1141
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Mark Jordan wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Dan Boger wrote:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:50:43AM +0000, Mark Jordan wrote:
Here's my top 10 (no particular order) list of why people might not vote:

Any others you can think of?

Reading via mail/news - voting was never implemented for those readers.

How many people read LUGNET like that? Would it be worth it to implement
voting for those readers? Or are the non technical factors more significant?

Voting via email might be possible, although annoying and pretty unsecure. A
reply by default just goes to the list. You'd have to somehow send your member
ID (and password!) and a flag that says "I'm spotlighting this" via SMTP that
would get picked up by the lugnet server.

Via NNTP would be pretty much undoable, I think-- unless Todd actually wrote an
NNTP client, or perhaps a plugin to an existing one. But that's even more of a
ridiculous pain (although more secure).

Dan actually just ran some numbers on the only stat that we can really measure,
which is "how many people posted while logged in via the web interface?". He's
got the exact counts for 2004, but it looked like about between 1/3 and 1/4 of
the posters on Lugnet were members who were logged in via the web interface, and
there were probably roughly 600+ distinct members who posted while logged in
(Dan's got the accurate stats).

It doesn't really say how many members VIEW using the web interface on a regular
basis (who might be able to highlight/spotlight), but does give a rough idea if
nothing else.

Although it would elicit some elitism and overuse, I wonder if there could be a
little counter by your member ID that says how many posts you've
spotlighted/highlighted. It may have the added effect of making people actively
TRY and get their numbers up further, just in the spirit of friendly
competition. But on the downside, it might encourage rash bursts of more random
highlighting. Personally, I think it'd do more good than harm, but that's just a
guess.

DaveE