 Administrative / Suggestions / 1130
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Calum Tsang wrote:
I would like to suggest a "down-light" option.    Enough downlights could
moderate a post into oblivion.  Then you would truly have a representation
of the "community" opinion on something.

You assume that the {membership} is representative of the {community}.(?)

Far worse than that-- "members who vote". Most members don't bother. The highest
rated thread I've ever seen got all of, what? 20-something votes? Highest I can
find on a cursory search is:

22 spotlights, 3 highlights:
http://news.lugnet.com/news/ahh.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.test,3340

23 spotlights, 0 highlights:
http://news.lugnet.com/news/ahh.cgi?lugnet.town,7877

How many members does Lugnet have? 2600+? And the most we get voting is
20-something? How many non-members do we have posting here? How many non-members
would vote, if allowed?

Calum's point (I think) was more related to the fact that currently, we can only
see that some members *like* something. There's no evidence that anyone at all
*dislikes* it, except for any replies they make to that effect. Hence, it would
be a community *opinion* rather than only the positive side of a story (not
allowing the negative essentially precludes anything but positive or
indifferent).

As for being truly representative of the *entire* community, pft. You'll never
get that. Best you can get is the sampling of AFOLs who care enough to post
online. Lots of lurkers and more casual hobbyists will either glance and not
respond, or not even read whatever it is in the first place.

And as for whether "membership" is a good statistic, sure, why not? It's a
pretty good way of ensuring that people don't get multiple votes (not without
its loopholes, but they're annoying to exploit), and it gives people an added
inscentive to "give back" to the community. It could also arguably be done on
Lugnet with people with posting setups, but that's more easily abusable.

DaveE