 Administrative / Suggestions / 1149
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:22:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Eaton wrote:
Well, the issue would really be authenticating the user as a member, and
making sure the message didn't get posted if they composed it incorrectly.
Since only members are allowed to vote (and when viewing from SMTP/NNTP you
can't see highlight/spotlights anyway), members who are using SMTP/NNTP would
have to submit their user number and password along with the post, which gets
dangerous. If they screwed up something and replied incorrectly, their member
password could get displayed for the world to see. Not that it's the most
secure transmission venue to begin with.

Agreed. No way would you want someone to send a password in plain text.

The best way would probably be to get posting setups associated with member
id's. So a member could log in to the website, try to associate their posting
setup, which sends their email address a verification. They verify that that
mail address is theirs, and then that email address can send highlight
spotlights the same way as posts (requiring authentication).

That's what I was thinking - same as current posting authentication.

But honestly I
think it still runs a good risk of having someone accidentally sending things
through that say "+HIGHLOGHT+" or whatnot that Lugnet interprets as posts,
because the user submitted them incorrectly, resulting in some messiness.
Possible certainly, but kinda messy.

Hmmn. Good point; this could be (mostly) addressed during the authentication
stage:

For posts:

   I wrote it and I want to post it now.
      [ ]  +5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd+

   I wrote it and I want to post it now. (Plus add a highlight to the parent!)
      [ ]  +5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd+

   It was just meant it to be a highlight. Delete the post but add a highlight
to the parent.
      [ ]  +5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd+

   I wrote it, but I changed my mind. Please delete it.
      [ ]  -5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd-

   I did not write this message! Please delete it!
      [ ]  !5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd!

   I'd like more time to think about what I wrote. I'll decide later.
      [ ]  ?5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd?

A few +highlihgt+ would still get through, but hopefully not too many.

Another option (SMTP only) would be to include a pre-generated highlight line in
every post like so:

   I liked that post. Please add a highlight.
      [ ]  ?5Ip7haVYYGjRuCydpBnYm8nd?

The hash would identify both the recipient and the original post.