 Administrative / Suggestions / 1134
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Eaton wrote:
You assume that the {membership} is representative of the {community}.(?)

Far worse than that-- "members who vote". Most members don't bother. The highest
rated thread I've ever seen got all of, what? 20-something votes? Highest I can
find on a cursory search is:

22 spotlights, 3 highlights:
http://news.lugnet.com/news/ahh.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.test,3340

This is probably an artefact of the way highlighting works. So far as I can see,
the only effect it seems to have is to push something onto the top stories list.

People highlight because they think a post deserves more attention. So once a
story gets onto the top stories list, people stop highlighting it. If there was
a  "downlight" option, then I am sure people would actively use it to push
stories they don't like back into "oblivion", thus increasing the number of
voters. I could see it becoming an issue.