 Administrative / Suggestions / 1135
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:41:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Mark Jordan wrote:
People highlight because they think a post deserves more attention. So once a
story gets onto the top stories list, people stop highlighting it.

Probably to an extent. Still makes me curious though. I would be interested to
see the "friends" distribution and "vote fequency" distribution across Lugnet
members. I expect that many people vote for their friends and fellow LUG
members' posts. Partly because they're the posts that they're reading, but also
because, well, you want to cheer on your friends.

It'd be interesting to see how frequently circles of friends all commonly
highlight something versus how often some other passer-by highlights a post that
the author doesn't know (which is all the more impressive).

If there was
a  "downlight" option, then I am sure people would actively use it to push
stories they don't like back into "oblivion", thus increasing the number of
voters. I could see it becoming an issue.

I expect that's true only insofar as it would apply to non-MOC posts. Things
like the Maersk ship, the color change, controversies in the community, etc. I'd
doubt it would result in much more voting when it came to creations and other
cool stuff (events and whatnot).

Personally, I think it's just kinda too bad that people aren't in the habit of
voting more often. Of course I'm guilty not voting myself as much as I should,
but still, I find it disappointing that with 2600+ members, that most posts get
between 0-10 highlights or spotlights. And only the rare post exceeds 15 or 20.

DaveE