 Administrative / Suggestions / 1123
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:42:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Calum Tsang wrote:

   I would like to suggest a “down-light” option. Enough downlights could moderate a post into oblivion. Then you would truly have a representation of the “community” opinion on something.

Seems worthy of exploration. The downside is that an important but unpopular message might get downchecked pretty badly.

That could be overcome by a mechanism where admins can block a message from being downchecked.

That defies the purpose, Tim. That’s still saying an admin, a person chosen for ambiguous reasons, should have power. Those reasons could be for being a loudmouth, for being the guy who happened to be there, the guy who other admins felt was closest to their own beliefs, or fits their ideals for another admin.

The idea with a collaborative filtering system is that people GAIN power as they post and as they contribute. Then the power is used to moderate posts, any or all of them. Everyone moderates. And if something is downchecked severely, that’s what the social network wants. There’s no “editorializing”.

Calum