 Administrative / Suggestions / 1145
Re: Language Choices and LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Eaton wrote:

   I found that I’d be more likely to go through the sites and vote when I knew someone who was up for a spot.

Good point, but I would expand “people in your LUG” to include people who post heavily in your favorite forums. There are a lot of people (heck, I’ve never been to a brickfest, so pretty much everyone on Lugnet) that I’ve never met in person, but feel familiar with them through their posts.

Thinking further on this, I think that another factor, perhaps related, is complexity. I recently posted this little Johnny Carson scene and got 13 spotlights. Now, I’m not so silly as to imagine that this creation, as a creation, holds any sort of candle to many awesome MOCs that got fewer votes. I mean, Kyle’s Agressor got 9 votes. One thing on my creation, though, was that it was extremely simple, and could be fully grokked just from the pic included in my post, while Kyle’s (IMO amazing) ship required you to to through the gallery of pics in detail if you wanted to see it all. So my scene, by having very little to appreciate, could be fully appreciated in a nanosecond, and voted on in about as much time, while Kyle’s work had so much that you couldn’t take it all in at once.

Of course, with that Johnny Carson MOC above also garnered more attention than it perhaps should have because it was a) timely and b) sentimental. I had very similar response when I posted a small memorial MOC for Christopher Reeve, with 7 votes, though not as much with Rodney Dangerfield (2 votes) or Janet Leigh (4 votes). These differences may certainly reflect a greater emotional response to Carson’s and Reeve’s deaths than Dangerfield’s or Leigh’s, rather than any inherent quality of the MOCs themselves. I recall that various 9-11 memorials were spotlighted heavily as well (IMO this by Alan Findlay is the best, BTW).

Bruce