 Administrative / General / 6554
Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 15:24:25 GMT

Hi all,

A message from the offender...

I am truly sorry if I have caused any inconvenience for anybody, or offended
anyone. This was the first time a sent out a mail to multiple persons like
this, and I now realise that it was not a very good idea.

I WILL NOT REPEAT THIS

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Hey all,

I just got spammed from Helge Viker; he's trying to pawn Lego sets onto me.  I
have never had business with him before.  In his e-mail, he says,

"This mail is going out to all I have had contact with over the past half
year.  Many of you have bought from me already, but some mail addresses has
sneaked into my lego mail account, through mails from others.  I intend to
send out a mail like this monthly or bimonthly. So, if do not want to get
this kind of mail from me, just let me know, and I will remove you from my
mailing list immediately."

So I suppose that my e-mail address *SNEAKED* into his "mail account".  Yes,
that's right, my e-mail address is intelligent, prehensile, and has a mood of
its own.  And I have to ask him to remove my name from his list.

First of all: I have NOT harvested any mail address from Lugnet, ebay or any
other similar source. The only addresses I have sent to, is the addresses that
has accumulated on my hotmail account over the past half year. This account I
use only for my lego interest.

There are basically three ways I have saved addresses:

1 The persons that have contacted me directly
2 Persons I have contacted previously and have answered, mainly persons who's
website I have visited and then contacted.
3 Through mails from other persons.

I now realise that saving the mail addresses that were in the heading on mails
from others, was not a very good idea. If you are familiar with hotmail, you
know that if a mail that has been sendt to many persons as Cc, the addresses
can be saved very easily by just pressing "save address". This I have done each
time I have received an email, without any thought to what I was going to do
with those addresses. Now that I sent out this mail, I had a problem knowing
which addresses to send to. I did NOT send to all the mail addresses I had, but
I obviously I sendt it to too many. My only defence is that I did send as Bcc,
so the addresses has not ended up on other lists because of me.

Furthermore, he's doing said business through a HOTMAIL account.  That scores
points.  He strikes me as not too bright and particularly rude, and he's going
into my killfile.

How bright I am, I will let others evaluate, but "particularly rude" ? I have
always tried to be polite in all situations, and until now I have never had one
singel negative feedback from enyone in the lego comunity. Quite the contrary I
have had a lot of positve feedback, and several persons has asked me to send
them regular uppdates on the sets I have for sale.

I have also received a number of mails similar to the one I sent, also from
people that I never have heard from previously, and I have not thought about
those as something negative.

Helge, get a clue.  Jeez.

Yes I do take the clue. I will go through my address list and delete all
addresses to persons that has not bought from me before. I will also get
another (non hotamil) mail account to run my lego buisniss through.

All this being said, I have in fact received more possitive than negative mails
one negative posting here, so in the future I will be very carfull with who I
send mails to. My lego buisniss is after all just a hobby, not something I do
to earn big bucks.

And again: I am sorry for any inconveniece I have caused. I will not repeat
this.

Thanks to those who have suported me in this case !

Regards,
Helge Viker

think the mistake a lot of us make
is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.