 Administrative / General / 6570
Re: No more spam from Helge Viker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 04:01:37 GMT

Kevin Salm wrote:

<snip>

I have been reading this thread as-it-happened (I get b-s-t via email) and one
thing puzzles me about the whole affair.  No one went on record to explain why
the original email from Helge was, could, or should be considered or classified
as SPAM.

Unsolicited mass email *is* the definition of spam.

From my perspective, the use of the word SPAM [1] to define the offending email
is inappropriate.  It can be assumed that the only recipients were known Lego
enthusiasts that may have had an interest in the items being offered.  While
each recipient of the email was not known to Helge, they received the email
with the assumption that they would have interest.

Thus, since the sender assumed that the recipient would have interest removes
the idea that it be considered SPAM.  As far as I define SPAM email. [2]

Nope.  You cannot make this assumption.  By your definition, I should be able to
spam everyone on earth with my new money-making scheme because I assume that
everyone would want to make money....

If SPAM email is defined this way, then a large portion of the email I receive
would fall into this category .  Just because I receive unsolicited email does
not make it SPAM.

If it's an unsolicited mass email, yes it does.

I have some family members and co-workers that send me stuff
I do not want, for example, -- that does not make it SPAM, it simply makes it
trash or junk mail.

If you are talking about forwarded jokes, etc. then you are correct-- it is junk
mail, because it has been sent to you specifically.  A person who forwards stuff
to his/her entire address book is a moron, not a spammer IMO.

This whole thing could have easily been a non-event had the offending email
simply been deleted by receipients who do not have interest in the offered
items.

[1]  I also do not define auction flogs as SPAM, as does Todd Lehman

Why not just post in .auction?  That's what it's for!

[2]  My personal definition of SPAM email may not be the same as other people's
or that defined by a dictionary, etc.  However, I do not wish to debate or
belabor this issue.

But isn't that what you just did? ;-)

-John

FUT .debate