 Administrative / General / 6537
Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 17:12:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:

Also he may be a good dealer but that doesn't mean I want his E-mail.  In my
view this was just a version of SPAM and I have no respect for Spamers and I
have no problem with publicly scolding Helge for his inappropriate
solicitations.

I'm of two minds here. I totally agree with Eric, and yet I wasn't personally
bothered by the mail from Helge, rather I welcomed it.

Perhaps in the far future the following facilities will all be available on
Lugnet: (read the Plan, it hints at this capability)

- ability to mark in your member profile whether you are interested in
unsolicited offers, and if so, what sorts (categories of interest, types of
sales, specific sets you want at a low level of interest but haven't posted to
bst lately because you don't want to be a pest).

- ability for a prospective sender of unsolicited mail to develop a list of
people to mail to based on their interest.. That is, you  the seller put in
"trains, 9V" + "police boat" from a drop down and it generates a list of
addresses for you, or better yet, forwards on your message to those people
without letting you know what their addresses are, AFTER you say who you were
and LUGNET records your member information for use in investigations later if
need be.

- statement in the TOS that sending unsolicited mail using addresses obtained
ANY other way is a TOS violation and may subject you to prosecution, etc. not
just getting TOSsed.

For right now, today, posting to bst is the better way to go because it's much
more polite to those that have no interest. If one wants something, one looks
there.