 Administrative / General / 6557
Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 21:11:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Helge Viker writes:

My issue isn't whether he's a good trader.  I didn't ask to trade with him,
and I don't have the interest.  I don't care if he's a good trader.

No, my issue is with his incredible lack of tact in resorting to spam to
further his business.  If he wants to advertise himself, fine, just don't do
it at my expense in my inbox.

By simply deleting the e-mail and doing nothing else, I'd encourage his
immoral business practices.  By discussing it in a public forum, I can -- at
the same time -- alert others of this spammer, and give him a hint that there
are those who don't put up with his kind of abuse.

What about having the tackt to let me now directly that this was not the way
of doing things ? Or at least inform me that you had put a negative posting on
Lugnet ?

I did not see this discussion until today - to days after I sent out my
infamous mail. By now I have received many positive feedbacks, more neutral
feedbacks and one, -1- , negative feedback directly to my mailaccount. That
singel negative feedback was all that was needed to convince me that I had
chosen a not very good way of promopting my sale. And I had already decided
not ever to send out something similar again. And to delete all mail addresses
from my system, that I could not recognice as someone that had already bought
from me, or expressed that they were intereted in getting such mails. By doing
that I would of course also delete addresses to people that was interested.
Several that I have not had any contact with before, has replied and thanked
me for my initiative.

Helge,

Thanks for letting us know what you are doing and that you are stoping your
E-mails.  I would note however that probably the main reason you only got 1
negative e-mail as feed back is probably because most Internet providers and
E-mail services recommend very strongly not to ever respond to SPAM e-mails.
Their main reasoning for this is because all responding to a SPAM does (even if
it is to remove yourself from the list) is let that SPAM know they have a real
person behind the E-mail address.  Then more likely then not you will receive
even more SPAM not less.

Therefore it is my personal practice never to reply to SPAM and only to put
SPAMers on my Kill list so that further E-mails get blocked.

And I repeat my statement from my ather posting in this discussion:

I have NOT harvested mail addresses from Lugnet or ebay. All mail addresses
has come into my system through other mails.

Well I will take your word for it although I know I have never E-mailed you and
I don't remember any E-mails we were both on but I guess its possible.  Either
way I know we have never conversed before.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: