 Administrative / Database / 568
567  |  569
Subject:
Itty-bitty LEGO set looker-upper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 02:32:38 GMT

If you find that you are spending a lot of time looking up sets by name or
number -- fiddling with URLs, bookmarks, search boxes, etc. -- then here's
a little (and I mean little!) utility which might help save you time.  It's
tentatively called QuickSet and you can launch it right from your browser:

   http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/

Its mission statement is to be the fastest possible way to look up LEGO sets
online.  Basically, it is simply a miniature web browser window (launched via
JavaScript) which runs independently of the main web browser window.  There
are four different main ways to launch it (shown at the URL above), each with
additional launch options to include various browser widgets such as the Menu
bar, the Location bar, the Status bar, and so forth.  I like to run it as
small as possible and keep it in the corner of the desktop, so I leave these
additional options unchecked when I launch it.

Notes:

- Best results are had with a browser which supports JavaScript, as JavaScript
  is used to create the special itty bitty window.  (It will still work OK
  on browsers without JavaScript, however...just not as nicely.)

- Mac users probably will want to make sure the Menu checkbox is ON, because
  of the way MacOS menus work (being shared at the top of the screen and not
  per-window).

- This isn't necessarily a final interface for the utility, but the better it
  performs for people, the less likely it'll be to change.  So speak up if
  anything about it is annoying.  (You could consider this a "beta.")

- There's also a nifty way to add this to your personal toolbar in Netscape
  Navigator, where it pops up a search prompt when you click the button from
  wherever you happen to be and even if you're not already running it.  I'll
  post details about that later.

--Todd