 Administrative / Database / 567
Re: more scan questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
do you compare ones that we send to the existing set pictures and choose
from there?

Yeah...

We're sending the front page of the instruction sheets, and in a few
cases, the front of the box or a picture of a tub or bucket.  is there
anything else we need to know? is there a size limitation you'd like?
(we're trying to stay less than 60K each)  is there a graphic size you'd
like us to try and stay with? (i think the biggest one is like 500x350 or
something).  Please let us know :)  thanks!  (sorry so spammy)

Well, I'd say try to stay under 200KB and under ~600x600 pixels, and avoid
progressive JPEGs[1].  Other than than, not much to worry about.  I'll be
putting in some scaling stuff to make medium-sized images so that the huge
ones don't get in the way like they do now.  (The large original versions
will stay around of course if someone wants to click to get the huger view.)

--Todd

[1] These are cool per se, but not all browsers support them yet, and they're
better off as an output option rather than input, especially because non-
progressive JPEGs are much easier to manipulate with image-processing tools
via scripts.