 Administrative / Database / 572
Re: Itty-bitty LEGO set looker-upper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:36:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
- Do you know how to make the window stay on top under MS Windows?
  This would be most useful so that whenever I want the window is there.

I don't know of any way, no, but in a former life I used to do lots of Win32
GUI programming, so I'm going to bet that it's possible that there's a tool
out there somewhere (something akin to WinSpy++) that would let a user choose
a window and mark it the the always-on-top property.  All it would have to do
is forge a message from the window to the system to set the bit (probably
easier in older versions of Win32 than the newer versions), or perhaps NN or
MSIE even has some kind of hook for this.  But I don't know of any directly.

- Do you know how to add a set number typein to the system tray under
  MS Windows?  That would also be very useful.  Second best would be
  to have an icon in the system tray that, when clicked on, would bring
  up the QuickSet utility.

I don't know of any way, no, but I think it would probably be fairly
straightforward to do.  Someone would need to find or write a little Win32
app that runs in the tray and invokes the web browser one of two ways:
either (a) by giving a little text-input box and constructing a full
%xx-encoded URL from the input text and then invoking the browser, or
(b) by causing a click (or double-click or right-click, whatever) on the
tray icon to simply invoke the browser with the URL of a special page which
returns a page of 100% JavaScript (no HTML) and handles the text input
itself.

Alternatively (no tray involved), if you run NN, here's what I do -- I put
the search in my personal toolbar.  The "personal toolbar" in NN is simply
a third row of widgets at the top of each browser window which consists of
a row of buttons, each button being a bookmark.

Here's the "howto" part (installation instructions for Netscape Navigator):

1.  Open up this URL:

    http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/

2.  Make sure both the "Location Toolbar" and the "Personal Toolbar" options
    are enabled in the View menu.  (They'll both be visible if they're
    enabled, unless they're enabled but collapsed, in which case click the
    little tab on the far left to un-collapse them.)

3.  Click and drag the little green-and-yellow bookmark icon (just to the
    left of the word "Location:" in the Location Toolbar) to the Personal
    Toolbar (just below the Location Toolbar) and drop it there.  This will
    add the QuickSet launch page to your Personal Toolbar as a special type
    of bookmark.

4.  Now open the "Edit Bookmarks" window (Ctrl-B, Command-B, or Alt-B
    depending on your OS) and highlight the QuickSet bookmark in the
    "Personal Toolbar Folder."  Now select Edit > Bookmark Properties
    from the bookmarks menu and change the URL to:

    http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/qs.js

(Step #4 above is only necessary because it's impossible (AFAIK) to bookmark
a pure .js file directly because it never appears in the URL location bar.)

Now, once that's installed, then from anywhere you can click that button and
do really quick LEGO set database searches (assuming your web browser is
already running, of course).  When you click the toolbar button, you'll get
a little temporary pop-up window which says "LUGNET QuickSet search" and lets
you type in a box.  When you press Enter, then it pops up a little results
window.  Each window it pops up is separately positionable anywhere or
closeable separately.  You can also jump to the main (more complete) DB view
by clicking on the 200x200 image in the little window.

This is how I've been looking up sets for a few weeks now and it works pretty
well for me...hope it works well for you too!

--Todd