 Administrative / Database / 592
Re: Itty-bitty LEGO set looker-upper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:13:43 GMT

QuickSet seems like a nifty thing.  I have one big problem with it,
unfortunately.  This is with IE5.  Once launched, the QuickSet window becomes
the target window for any URL that gets launched from a non-browser
application.
For example, if I open QuickSet while reading LUGNET messages, and then I
double-click a URL from my newsreader, the QuickSet window is used to display
the webpage.  Since the QuickSet window is usually reduced-function (ie, no
toolbar, menu, etc.), I can't do much to return to Quickset or anything else
except browse the website (via hyperlinks on the page) and then close the
window.

One smaller navigation thing, having to do with looking up a range of sets.  I
enter my query in the QuickSet window.  A new window is displayed, with
thumbnails of all the matching sets.  If I click one of the thumbnails, an
enlarged version of that thumbnail is displayed in the same window, replacing
the list of sets.  I can't get back to the list, because I don't have any
navigation aids.  So if I want to examine another match, I have to
requery.  It
would be nice if the enlarged view showed up in a new window, at least when
there is a range of matching sets.  That way, I could examine several of the
matches more closely.

what it probably is, I don't thin IE honors the "_blank" name for new
windows.  Unlike NN, which opens a new window every time the target is
_blank, IE must not do that.  So every time an app tries to open a new
window, IE thinks it means the same one...  Not sure what you can do about
that, except stop using IE...

Dan