 Administrative / General / 4513
Re: Emacs (was: Re: Eudora bug rears its ugly head again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:25:25 GMT

Do you mean the (somewhat oldish) RMAIL mail reader in Emacs or the
full news/mail reader Gnus?

I actually use MEW here, it's very very nice...  basicly working as a
frontend to mh.

I find that Emacs/Gnus is great for reading LUGNET news groups off the
NNTP server.  I don't use the mail/news gateway, as I prefer not to
have my mailbox clogged everytime I log on.

heh, as I get about 300 msgs a day anyhow, it doesn't make much of a
difference...  that's why TheGreatHand created filters :)  when I
want, I just go to in.lugnet...

I haven't been able to use Gnus for reading LUGNET offline, though,
which is a pity since reading LUGNET at home can be a threat to my
phone bills.  When Gnus tries to download the unread LUGNET articles
in offline mode, I sometimes get the error message "strange nov line"
and sometimes the connection simply stops.  I haven't reported this
(yet) because it's all too vague.  I would like to have some more
information about what's failing, but it's hard to pinpoint.  Has
anybody else noticed anything similar?

sorry, reading by mail, not through news...

Dan