 Administrative / Database / 599
Re: Itty-bitty LEGO set looker-upper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:26:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Kevin Salm writes:
One thing that I would like is for the actual personal data to be stored on my
own computer.

That would be great for security type issues I guess.  Other than that I can't
see any reason that the info off of the server would be a good thing.  What
happens when you move computers, or have more than one computer?  I wouldn't be
suprised to see something like a "who has a 4558?" query (or more
anonymously, "how many people have 2 or more 4558's?") at some point.  If
Lugnet doesn't have this info on the server, it makes it a lot harder to do
this and other data-based operations.

I think that your idea has merit though.  Perhaps when all of this is in place
we could have a export option to download all of your info into one file.  Then
you could use that file (which could be text or some standard format) in your
own database software.  For the edit/append to work, we'd need an update or
upload option too.

Something to put in the back of our minds for the day when all of this is in
place.

someday Lugnet will be one of the best user-based websites in the world
   Isn't it? :)

Ben Roller