 Administrative / Database / 576
Re: Itty-bitty LEGO set looker-upper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:30:11 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.database, Frank Filz writes:
I do like the arrangement of the data better than the Pause DB. Have you
considered changing Pause to list the data across the top in a similar
format (or at least have an option for such)?

Oya, definitely.  It's partly a prototype and experiment at simpler
presentation.  Here's a mock-up screenshot, for example, which Suzanne
made earlier this year:

  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/db/browsesample4910.gif

Hmm, a little too fancy, and will slow down page loads (unless you code the
logo images such that they can be cached). I'd also prefer to see as much
space as possible made for the set image (one reason I won't be using the
new looker-upper is the smaller image).

One thing I really like about this format is that it will be easy to cut • and
paste set names in the form I like to use when inserting them in text, • the
"0000 nnnn nnn nnn" form.

Oh, because the set number is abutted right next to the set name?  Great!

Yes!

(Too bad there's no HTML tag that a page could use to tell the brower some
default preferred text to cut to the clipboard automatically if some ctrl-
key sequence were invoked by the user.  :)

Yea, that would be cool, though if it existed, almost certainly half the
pages out there would seriously abuse it somehow....

BTW, do boldface or italics give you any trouble with cut & paste in your
browser, for example on this page?--

  http://www.lugnet.com/flg?6828

As in this text:

"6828  Twin-Winged Spoiler   (Futuron)"

Nope (at least not at home on IE 4). I'll try again at work on NN 3.01 for
AIX (but I think it will work fine). If there is any option to chose
formatted posts, I always disable it (don't remember if NN or IE have that,
but if so, I certainly am not using it).

Frank