 Administrative / Database / 602
Re: Itty-bitty LEGO set looker-upper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:46:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Steve Bliss writes:
I'm sure it does.  I just never use that function from the context menu,
so I didn't think of it.  So this situation is downgraded from an
annoyance to an interface quirk.

Ok, well, the best thing I can recommend then in that case is checking the
"Navigation" checkbox before launching the utility.  That way, you'll get
a "Back" button for that window.  (Unfortunately, I don't have MSIE5 to test
this out and confirm that it in fact behaves correctly with that browser, but
it does work correctly in NN4+ for Win32, MacOS, and Linux.)  I'd be curious
to know what does happen, if that doesn't work under MSIE5.

There is also a way, BTW, to specify a custom launch method that is
bookmarkable if you launch it often but don't want to be bothered with
clicking that checkbox each time.

It's a CGI script which returns a pure-JavaScript page which then creates the
new client window:

   http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/ql.cgi?toolbar=1

The parametric options for this launch script are:

   menubar=1        Include a menu bar
   toolbar=1        Include a toolbar (navigation bar -- Back/Forward/etc.)
   location=1       Include a location bar (the URL Location dropdown box)
   directories=1    Include the so-called personal toolbar
   status=1         Include a status bar
   scrollbars=0     Disable scrollbars
   resizable=0      Disable window resizing
   copyhistory=1    Inherit URL history from parent window
   width=#          Override default width of 220
   height=#         Override default height of 280

For example, a Mac user preferring a slightly larger window than the default
might add this to his/her bookmarks:

   http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/ql.cgi?menubar=1&width=240&height=400

--Todd