 Trains / 9545
Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:56:48 GMT

[...] The numbers on usage of lego.com are proprietary but they are
stunning blowouts in areas like satisfaction, number of visits, number of
repeat visits, stickiness, etc, *among the target market* for lego.com. That
target market is not us, except peripherally.

I'm surprised to hear that, but if it's true, then it's good news, and it
would make things a lot clearer.  So, what then *is* the target market for
lego.com, and how were things like satisfaction measured?

A site with the millions of visits that lego.com gets is not
something that you change willy nilly, you have to have a rigorous rollout
and promotion process.

And usability testing, of course.  :-)

[...]
What I find most ironic is the slamming of LD for not moving fast enough and
for not experimenting and for not doing things incrementally at the same

What is meant mean by "not experimenting"?  I missed that flame.

time that the website and the bulk assortment and other things are being
slammed for not being perfect on the first try. Gimme a break.

I don't think it was being slammed for not being perfect on the first try.
I think it was being slammed for totally sucking on the third try (2000),
after mildly sucking on the second try (1998), after not so badly sucking on
the first try (1996).  But that's an AFOL view, and I understand what you are
saying about AFOLs not being part of the target market for the site.  Kids
probably think it's better now than it ever was.  More power to them.

[...]
But there are things that LD can and will do to help clubs, in areas like
formation, ongoing support, better contact points, etc. And there are things
that LTCs can do to help LD as well. This discussion, in depth, took up a
substantial part of the day.

Awesome!

--Todd