 Trains / 9509
  From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

I am under NDA so cannot go into a lot of detail, but I did want to post to say that and several other Lego Trains stalwarts have just completed the first ever LEGO(r) Train Summit. We have just spent Friday evening and all day Saturday meeting with (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains) !!

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> Forgot to crosspost to .direct ++Lar (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Awesome! (...) Ohohoo, when you say "the future of the product line," I assume you are referring to trains? If so, that sounds very encouraging! Can you say whether rumors of the train product line's demise are greatly exaggerated? Will be any (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

Wow ! I (we, I should say) are soooo jealous...sounds like a rush. Did ya ask if they are ever gona make proper steam engine wheels, sorta like Ben's April Fools catalogue ? ( but then I suppose ya can't talk about that, eh?) Anyway Good goin' ! (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Yes. (...) Yes I can decisively say that. I think I did already, actually. (...) That kind of information would be covered under the NDA so I can't specifically comment. (...) After dinner the lot of us fested till pretty late, so at 2 AM when (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Exxx...xxxcellent. (...) So you know then? (...) MOCs at din? --Todd (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) My apologies everyone, I totally underestimated the power of the (LEGO)Force. I'm very glad that Trains have a bright future, this has been my lesson in faith. -Harvey (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Awesome! I hope all of those who have been whining will think about what happened here, and think about Larry's comments over the past few months about how whining is not the best way to go about things, and consider that this meeting probably (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) That kind of information would be covered under the NDA so I can't specifically comment. (...) After, last nite back at the hotel, and most all day during the meeting. Train MOCs have a way of taking up the entire table, which is not prudent. (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Ahh, in other words: "Splunge." :-) (...) a total blast! Glad to hear it was fun and productive!! --Todd [followups to .trains] (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Thanks :^) ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G87D35.EpA@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) train (...) 1st good news in a long while. Though it had better not be anything like the 4561. I wonder if they plan to have any meetings like (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Great stuff! Are there plans to have such meeting again someday? It's great to hear that Lego is _really_ in touch with their community! I guess the NDA covers future products, or does it also cover other things? Please tell us for a rough (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Urp, good point In this one... sDscn1209.jpg (URL) from the left Larry Pieniazek – poly-LTC Peter Andersen - LD product manager Jorn Kristian Thomsen - Lead Lego trains designer from Billund James Mathis - PNLTC Jake McKee - Senior producer (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.people)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) I've said it before, it is my view that 4561 is a good product for the market it is targeted at. Town Jr. is a good product for the market it is targeted at. Bionicle is a good product for the market it is targeted at, for that matter. None of (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) It was the *first* *train* summit. (...) I can't talk about future products, about demographics or web usage or sales figures, or about costs/numbers/successes for various marketing, sales or production activities, for example. There are other (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct) !

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) That's in fact the best news concerning TLC and the Lego train line I've heared during the last weeks or even months.... After the very dissapointing news from the toys fair in Nuremberg this makes me hope I will be able to spend money into (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Some of your opinions anger me Larry. I hate to say this but you also criticize other people. Maybe you should take a look at the "venome" in you. And not act like everyone is so feeble in the field of trians. (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) I'm surprised to hear that, but if it's true, then it's good news, and it would make things a lot clearer. So, what then *is* the target market for lego.com, and how were things like satisfaction measured? (...) And usability testing, of (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

LEGO would be making a huge mistake if they assumed that the things we want are different than what kids want. I hear just about every day from a very reliable source that parents and kids hate juniorized sets. They want sets with more pieces. They (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

Kevin Loch wrote in message ... (...) I am a mom, sons 4 (almost 5) and 1. My son has had no interest in Jr. sets past the age of three. He likes my town sets, from the early 90's and 80's because of the detail, like garage doors. I talk to my (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

Well said! My LEGO Retailer friends tell me these same things all the time. Their customers are very frustrated. -Suz (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

Kevin Loch wrote in message ... (...) Larry and Todd were specifically referring to the Lego.com *website* in those messages though. From the kids I used to do "Technic class" with, they really loved the Lego website and visited it *a lot*. Between (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) I feel very strongly that: Effectiveness is not the same as Quality. Popularity does not equal Elegance. Appreciating a fine wine for example, takes much experience and taste development. I thought The LEGO Company believed that "Only the Best (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Agreed. (...) Evidently, they changed their minds... -Shiri (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:G891Jy.AqG@lugnet.com... (...) Think they finally realised that having a the best product does not mean you automatically get the best sales. Marketing strength will be product quality every (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

"lawrence wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesf...rve.co.uk> wrote in message news:G891v5.BHJ@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) sorry. Marketing strength will BEAT product quality every time. regards lawrence (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Apple Computer, Inc. understands this! (...) TLC should hire Steve Jobs! --Todd (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) But do they have to be mutually exclusive? --Todd [followups to .general] (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) My sons are ages 5 and 7. The younger one loves to build and can easily build sets labeled ages 8-12, for instance. The worst trouble he has is finding the pieces, so I agree with Rose that the newer inside packaging into separate poly bags (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) I certainly do. Did any of you happen to go into the store and find out what this Revolvolution stuff is? (URL) first I thought it read "Re-volvo-lotion", and I was thinking it might be something useful for the interior of my car... however, (...) (23 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) [snip] Larry, This is great news, I can't wait to see the new sets and I hope it's soon! Long live LEGO Trains! Robin Werner Greater Florida LEGO Train Club (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

lol The rest of the attendees have barely arrived home and the thread has already burned out;-) We did have a great time with the LD personnel and amongst attendees ourselves. I really enjoyed renewing old acquaintances and meeting others F2F for (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) lol BION, I'm pretty sure I never uttered the sacred phrase "8 wide" to Brad at all. In the pic where he and I are laughing, I think we were talking about one of your MOCs, Lar >;-D (...) We *almost* needed it for SteveB, though;-) (inside (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

Larry, Thanks to you and other representatives of the train clubs for your work on this. And thank you Lego for keeping the communication channels open. I'm absolutely thrilled with the news. Keep up the good work. Bryan Kinkel "Larry Pieniazek" (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Yes, while the number at Lugnet may be small, each of us has a wider reach than might be first thought. I buy for myself, and my daughter. She goes to 10-12 birthday parties a year. These children get Lego from her as presents, for some it has (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) No, he didn't ask wether there would be more train summits, but having assumed there assumed there will be, whether non-northamerican train fans (lego staff don't really count) will be included in the invitations. James (who is trying to hatch (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

Hey Larry, nice post, I wish that the same would happen with the Town Theme...finding out what kind of direction that Theme is headed in 2001/2002... Isn't it great to have a nice big organization of AFOL's (in the train clubs) to organize a big (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Fine with that. I've read everything that's been said, but here's my question: While the future is probably unknown... Did you come away with more of a sense that a) LEGO will be responding to the things you are interested in, or b) LEGO is (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) In what ways was this helpful? -Jon (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) Oh yes! As an AFOL and an LTC member. (...) Yes, we do, but LEGO Direct is changing the bottom line, if you will. LD has much more flexibility and has different constraints than LEGO directed at retail. Packaging costs, for instance. Look at (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

(...) John, I think you got those backwards. If I remember correctly, Steven H. (Vice President in charge of LEGO Shop at Home) described the difference between a 'consumer' and a 'customer'. He described the 'customer' as having a "relationship" (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

John Neal wrote: snip (...) Who, who, who?! Behind whose back were you talking? Anyone's ears burning? Chris (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well

To All, Well, I have my own thoughts on this meeting, and I think it was a wonderful move for TLC & LD, and whatever is discussed, I am certainly glad there was an opportunity to do so. As someone who has been here since the beginning, I am hopeful (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)