 Trains / 9550
Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:36:15 GMT

Well said!

My LEGO Retailer friends tell me these same things all the time. Their customers
are very frustrated.

-Suz

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Loch writes:
LEGO would be making a huge mistake if they assumed
that the things we want are different than what
kids want.  I hear just about every day from
a very reliable source that parents and kids
hate juniorized sets.  They want sets with more pieces.
They want sets with more "bricks" rather than special pieces.
They *really* want "girl sets that you can build like
the boy sets." Even parents buying Duplo want more bricks,
less tubes.  They want mid-sized Technic sets so they don't
have to buy Mindstorms or Silver Champion to get some Technic
parts.  They want sets they can build the main model, the alternate
models and their own ideas using all of the pieces in the set.

I'm not making this stuff up, this is what actual parents
and kids say every day while making LEGO purchasing decisions.

If LEGO is going to include the adult demographic in their
target market that's great!  I hope they also realize that
most of the rest of their target market wants the same things.

They want sets that are fun and challenging to build.  They want
pieces they can re-use.

My guess it that their current strategy focuses more on playing
than building.  The problem is that LEGO is a building toy.  It
inspires the creative mind through the building process.  This is
because it is only a coarse representation of reality.  The mind
must fill in the gaps.  Play-focused toys are much more articulate,
but infinately less configurable.  LEGO should return to focusing
on the building experience.  Playablility still plays a minor role,
quite naturally after the building is complete, but it should
not be the primary focus.

KL