 Trains / 9557
Re: From the first LEGO(r) Train Summit: LEGO(r) Trains are alive and well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 20:48:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rose Regner writes:

Kevin Loch wrote in message ...
LEGO would be making a huge mistake if they assumed
that the things we want are different than what
kids want.  I hear just about every day from
a very reliable source that parents and kids
hate juniorized sets.

I am a mom, sons 4 (almost 5) and 1. My son has had no interest in Jr. sets
past the age of three. He likes my town sets, from the early 90's and 80's
because of the detail, like garage doors.

My sons are ages 5 and 7.  The younger one loves to build and can easily build
sets labeled ages 8-12,  for instance.  The worst trouble he has is finding the
pieces, so I agree with Rose that the newer inside packaging into separate poly
bags helps in that regard.  My seven-year-old, however, is one of those kids
who just doesn't have the patience to build.  He wants to play with the
finished model right away, and often his little brother ends up building his
sets for him.  And this is in spite of the fact that this kid has a mom who
is an AFOL and has been exposed to LEGO in one form or another practically
since birth.  I think there are plenty of kids out there like this, and TLC is
trying to direct some of their product at this type of child (who I'm afraid is
becoming more and more common).

My friends really struggle to find sets to buy for their daughters.
But this is an old issue that has been stated before, the creator series is
a step towards this, but I hope Lego has a lot more in store for us females.

My sister-in-law requested I get my 5 year old niece some girl's LEGO, and she
didn't want what she called "the cheesy Belville stuff" (not my opinion BTW).
I couldn't bring myself to waste one of my Poolside Paradise sets on a five
year old, so I ended up giving her Playmobil.  But I do have to say, I remember
when the Paradisa sets were out in the stores (circa 1992-95), and they really
didn't sell well.  I ended up getting my 6411's and 6416's from MacFrugal's.
And I picked up several 4151 and 4161 girls' Freestyle sets on clearance at
Walmart.  So there is a reason LEGO isn't putting out many sets aimed at
girls-- while WE may buy them, the fact is, most people won't.

I am still learning to build, a few years ago I tried to build houses with
2X bricks, it doesn't work very good. From building houses out of the old
basic set instructions I have gotten better at this and I figured out why
Lego gives you so many 1X bricks. My friends (moms) want to build with their
daughters (and sons) but they don't have the building skills if they did not
play with Lego as a child. I told one friend of mine to buy the building
books but then she had the problem that they didn't have the right bricks.
The bulk bricks do help with this problem some. I miss the old basic books,
where they showed you how to build cool houses, because this is what I
always want to build with my son because it is how I relate to my childhood.
I really like the building instructions in the new catalog, I never thought
of building a "bus " station like that.

I agree, I would love more books that have ideas for basic building details.  I
have always built with 2xn bricks, only using 1xn's in areas where the 2xn's
wouldn't work well, until a fellow AFOL, when negotiating a possible trade,
seemed surprised that I built this way (and then offered to trade me his 2xn's
for my 1xn's).  Until then, the advantages of building with 1xn's didn't even
occur to me.  I too liked the instructions for the little school house as well
as those for the LEGOland truck trailer that was in the catalog a couple of
years ago.

Maggie C.