 Trains / 26522
Re: Some more infos on new trains // more new infos as quoted from 1000steine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia wrote:
Six hours?  Seems a rather horrid endurance to me, certainly in terms of
shows.

If you have an rail-powered train running constantly on each track and augment
the layout by manually running an IR train on each track as well, then a set of
batteries will easily get you through a day at most shows.  Use rechargeable
batteries and you can power them up each night.

I'm looking forward to handing a controller to kids in the crowd and letting
them run the train for a while.  Give them five minutes or until they cause a
crash!

But if you want to run them by themselves, yes.  Six hours is pretty weak.

More importantly, didn't someone mention a timer?  I bet they work like the
Duplo trains, where they turn off after a couple of minutes with no input.  If
you want an unattended layout, you'll probably have to rig up a Mindstorms unit
somewhere on the layout to transmit a signal every time the train passes by.
Fortunately, the NXT RCX can run off an AC outlet.  Unfortunately, this is a
very expensive workaround.

Hm.  I want to get my hands on one of these things and see what they can do!

Darn right!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com