 Trains / 26446

Subject:
Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:59:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all!

Jan Beyer has shown us parts of the new train System in Frechen/Germany.

Just some unassortet aspects and informations.

- The track is full plastic as already seen.
- The train base is 32 studs long and contrains IR recievers on both sides and
battery box (included and not removable).
- the train motor has plastic wheels.
- the wheels show spokes on their faxe sides and have technik axle holes.
- the motor has special technic axle holes (nearly with cylindrical bore: so
they have a "slip-under-overload-effect")
- no new track radius is planned (so far) as Jan mentioned
- the engine needs 6 pieces of small standard batteries => still a 9V system
- the control panel (made for lefthanded kids as it seemed to us) has only 4
knobs and a frequency switch.
knob 1: signal horn (in panel)
knob 2: stop
knob 3: pos. accelleration  (speed up or break rearwars drive)
knob 4: negative. accelleration (break or speed up backwarts)

The frequency switch allows to choose betweeen 3 frequencies or controls all 3
frequencies at one time. I ask myself, what would happen if any of my three
nephews wanted to own a second train....

Kind Regards,

Ben

P.s.: the new mindstorms system got presented as well (even photos were allowd).
The mindstorms fans where really exited and positive against the system. I have
no idea about the old mindstorms so I cannot tell anything about improovements
now....

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
[...]

thank you for the info ben!

i have a couple quick questions i hope you don't mind.

is there any info on a release date?
the wire that goes to the motor, is that the same old 2x2 conecter?
i assume the battery box is on the bottom side of the train base, is this a
correct assumption?
is the base screwed together or glued?

pictures?????

thanks,
ondrew

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

[SNIP]

thank you for the info ben!

i have a couple quick questions i hope you don't mind.

is there any info on a release date?
the wire that goes to the motor, is that the same old 2x2 conecter?
i assume the battery box is on the bottom side of the train base, is this a
correct assumption?
is the base screwed together or glued?

pictures?????

thanks,
ondrew

Hi Ondrew,

picture taking was not allowed and we have respected this limitation.
Release date will be in september (as planned so far)
I had less than 3 minutes to have a view on the system. I have not demounted the
motor from the base (no idea if possible at all). And I have no idea about the
wiring - sorry.

The battery compartment opens to the bottom. The batteries are arranged in a
kind of plastic triangle: 1 on top, 2 under that one and three in the bottom.
So they reach through the base plate to the part which is reaching out of the
baseplate.
Imagine a battery box as known from the "light and sound system" and place this
box on top of a 30 or 32 studs long train baseplate in the very center. Next
build the bottom of a Santa Fe super Chief engine and place this under the
baseplate: then you will get something with the shape of the new system. All of
this is a fixed system: you can not shorten the thing or remove the part from
the center to the front or rear...

The "battery pyramid" is a subpart of very lightweight plastic. You fill it with
the 6 batteries and put it into the engine from the bottom.

BTW: another info I have not mentioned: the engine has - as I would guess -
4...6 speeds. At top speed it derails (the train we have seen, has been only a
train base but Jan had placed a metroliner on top of it. Since the ML is 28 long
the thing looked quite odd....

Kind Regards,

Ben

[...]

Thanks for the info Ben, This does not seem to fit with the train scene photo
because that shows metal wheels and a 30 stud long baseplate. The Baseplate
length has been counted by at least 3 AFOLs discussing on the Brickish
Association website.

I have mixed feelings about these new sets. This news gives the impression that
Lego will have to run two different systems if they are to continue to service
the rail-powered train fans....

Jon

Ps - I welcomed the horn feature until I re-read your post and realised it is
located in the controller handset - is this correct?

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Ps - I welcomed the horn feature until I re-read your post and realised it is
located in the controller handset - is this correct?

Hi,

yes, correct. The horn is inside the control unit you will hold in your hands,
not in the train itself!

Holger

my P.S. Hopefully there will be a wide varity of additional parts at S@H!
Different colors for baseplates, extra wheels, motors, cables ...

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)