 Trains / 26466
Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:00:03 GMT

Hi all!

I also saw the new train system during our show in Frechen/Germany last weekend.
I'd like to add some more information.

- The motor has the same size then the normal 9V train motor. The only
difference is the hole for the technic axle.
- The decorative side pieces for the motor are a slightly different. There is a
cut out for the technic axle.
- The battery/IR-unit is connected with a standard 9V cable to the motor. I
assume that you can connect a separate cable for train lights also to the
battery/IR-unit.
- The motor-wheels seems to have a little rubber to get friction to the trac.

As mentioned before going in highest speed the 2 waggon train derailed due to
too much speed. The running train was very silent, I only could hear the motor,
not the wheels on track.

From a kid's perspective is a highly playable system where more kids could share
running different (or same?) trains on one layout.

From AFOL's point of view I would say that the new 9V system can be seen as
addition to the existing system. On an old 9V layout you can run old and new 9V
trains without problems.

Possibilities to build trains seems to be limited in some ways. Eg. no small
engines, no engines with non-black baseplates like Santa Fe. But I have allready
some workarounds in mind: using the baseplate with battery/IR-unit for a waggon
(the motor can either be mounted under a separat engine moc or under the
waggon). Battery/IR-unit might be build in wider mocs then 6-wide. BBB wheels
might be connected directly to the new motor (hope that works).

Kind regards,
Holger