 Trains / 26491
Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:46:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Derek Lim wrote:
Forgive me if it has been covered before, but the primary question I'd like to
ask is whether TLC will continue to produce the old 9v track and 9v motors - and
then, if so, will new sets be released based on those old units?

There's still no definite answer.  LEGO might not be willing to commit
themselves.  Think about it - if they said they'll supply 9V track forever, they
can't keep that promise.  If they say they'll make it for 2 more years, there'll
be uproar that that's not long enough.  What can they say?  The only thing they
could say is that they'll make it whilst there's still a profit to be made from
it.  How much are you going to be buying?

As for new units, I don't think there's any point asking for that as there's no
great need.  For 9V you only need 5 units - straights, curves, points, motor and
regulator.  Everything else (and all future train sets) are compatible - just
plug in your choice of motor.

I'm just disappointed there's no stand-alone version of the IR unit.  Kids
absolutely love little 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 engines, and this setup rules them out.

Jason Railton

I'm no expert on the manufacturing process but I'd like to know if they have
altered all the moulds for the track pieces and the clip-on motor frames. If
these are completely new moulds then it shows there is a future supply potential
for the 9v track-powered range. If not, we will have to rely on existing stocks
until they run out.

Although I welcome the new trains my gripe is similar to Jason's and I cannot
see why someone starting with the playtrains would be persueded to part with
serious £s to buy a new motor, regulator, metal track etc. in order to
'upgrade'. In this respect, it is more a one-way compatibility.

Jon