 Trains / 26493
Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:25:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

I’m no expert on the manufacturing process but I’d like to know if they have altered all the moulds for the track pieces and the clip-on motor frames. If these are completely new moulds then it shows there is a future supply potential for the 9v track-powered range. If not, we will have to rely on existing stocks until they run out.

Although I welcome the new trains my gripe is similar to Jason’s and I cannot see why someone starting with the playtrains would be persueded to part with serious £s to buy a new motor, regulator, metal track etc. in order to ‘upgrade’. In this respect, it is more a one-way compatibility.

Jon

I did, I started out with 4.5v, and moved to 9v when it came out.

What I don’t understand is the decision to produce a $100+ set whith this new technology, as a first kit. I thought the whole point was to produce a $50 set to get into the “birthday gift” segment. Looking at the new sets, the ICE train looks about right. I would think the green engine is a perfect stand alone item, or combine it with a single frieght car. The crain rail truck should definitly be packaged seperately. I’d like to own more then one of the green engine, but not if I have to buy them in $100+ sets.

Mat