 Trains / 26496
Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:21:15 GMT

"Mathew Clayson" <mathew_impact1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

What I don't understand is the decision to produce a $100+ set whith this
new
technology, as a first kit. I thought the whole point was to produce a $50
set
to get into the "birthday gift" segment. Looking at the new sets, the ICE
train
looks about right. I would think the green engine is a perfect stand alone
item,
or combine it with a single frieght car. The crain rail truck should
definitly
be packaged seperately. I'd like to own more then one of the green engine,
but
not if I have to buy them in $100+ sets.

Mat

I agree completely.  LEGO could (should?) take a lesson from the Brio/Thomas
market.  The reason it is successful is because you add to it incrementally
and at a low price point.  Buying an engine, rolling stock, or other
accessory doesn't have to be a significant investment.  TLG's continues to
package their trains as an all inclusive offering which is fine but it
limits their "add on" sales opportunities.  Once a parent buys a train for
their child, they will are likely to buy additional cars to go with the
train but are very unlikely to buy another complete train set.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com