 Trains / 17112
Re: Now what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:45:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Huw Millington writes:

While I'm sure the US market makes up a significant proportion of those that
buy trains, please, LD, don't forget us Europeans. Let's have some
European-styled diesels, hoppers, vans, 4 wheeled wagons, 0-4-0 shunters,
even the Mallard for Jason!

well, color me confused, don't we already have all that in 4563 and 4564?
Just dust those off and reissue them (in different colors perhaps)!

A great way for TLC to get their foot in the door WRT to European trains would
be to get a licensing agreement with Britt Allcroft and produce some Thomas
trains.

But ya, everyone needs a Thomas.

(Brad, this is your quarterly reminder to pursue a Thomas license agreement:)

Tell you what Larry, I'll colour you bright red, yellow and blue and see if
that helps clear things up!  :-)

I guess these have all looked European in the past.  The "DB" stickers
didn't help matters.  Being British though, they look as foreign to me as
they do to you!  To me the 9V trains were never recognisable models, and
were always in such bright childish colours.  Several of the 12V ones were
OK, but the part selections have severely dated many of the designs.

I wouldn't mind a 4564, with some wagons in decent colours.  The MOT series
look good (notice how I blank out the caboose for this generalisation) but
the wagons in these two sets (4563, 4564) are awful.  I've got a 4563 and
all I use from it are the wheels!  Come to think of it, it's not more sets
that we need but more separate engines, wagons and accessories.  I'd buy the
engine from the 4564, but not the whole set.

How about bringing back <set:4549> then?  I'd love one in the original
colours.  Obviously It'd have to come with an alternative build for a single
level with two containers for us foreigners...

The thought of a Thomas license is frightening though.  I'd much rather have
the real engines.  Maybe Hornby stitched up an exclusive deal...

Let me correct that - if it sells trains (like, duh!) then do it.  Just
don't divert all the effort into it.  This wouldn't be a Lego Direct project
though, and I doubt the license is available for powered trains anyway.

Jason J Railton