 Trains / 17093
Re: Now what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:03:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.trains, Adrian Egli writes:
Nice thought.  When you examine what LEGO has been putting out recently in
its train line what do you see?  My eyes see this wonderful thing called
variety.  You've got Metroliner, Santa Fe (and cars for it!), the small and
large train engines with cars for them.

Bear in mind that an awful lot of Lego train enthusiasts look at these and
think "Metroliner -> Amtrak -> American.  Big red caboose -> American.
Santa Fe -> American.  Silver carriages -> American.  When are we going to
see some variety?" (or whatever that sounds like in German...)

A lot of LEGO trains in the past have been bland generic ones.  I really
like the more specific designs we've seen recently, and I wish I could
afford them all.  But, I think they could vary the nationality a bit now.
Time to re-iterate the call for a model of the "Mallard" perhaps?

Well, I guess to Europeans, the trains of the past have been bland and generic
(though there have been less generic models like the Crocodile). To Americans
(including Canadians), the trains have had a distinctly European flavor.

I agree though that there needs to be some new non-American models.

Why not come out with two different stations?
Yes, the 2150 and 4554 are great sets.  Re-release one of them as a Legend
set?  OK, sounds fine.  BUT, can we get some architectural variations rather
than just color ones?

Actually, I don't have either of these.  One in more realistic and
especially rare colours, like tan with a dark-grey roof, would really make
my day.

Pink...

I agree, now that we are getting good trains, we also need some good buildings
to go with them. This would be a good opportunity for a "structures" tub which
has 2 or 3 colors (earthy would be nice, but I could accept primary colors
also), a good set of roof bricks, some plates, and a selection of doors and
windows. A bunch of minifig and detail parts would round out the selection. The
tub would also include an idea book (with some pictures showing what you could
do with 2 or more tubs).

Having a station of a Victorian style and another one more contemp
(NOT 4556) or a Southwest adobe would be great.  As long as they have
the character of the particular style associated with actual stations
is the most important thing to me.

I wonder if a set can be designed that can be built into two radically
different designs of station?  They'd both have to be the same colour
scheme, probably a common platform, but the building would just be bricks
and windows after all.

"Dan" <outsailing86@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hopefully, someday Trains will be as good as it once was.

I think it's better now than it ever has been.  The 9V system is far
superior to the 12V center-rail track.  OK, so we're missing a power tap-off
for motorised points etc., but the current train models are much better.

There are visual and reliability advantages of 9v, but I have been pretty
satisfied with 12v. Some of the 12v era models were pretty good (the 7740
stands up well against today's models for example - sure, it may not be as
detailed as the new Santa Fe cars, but then there also needs to be some
gradation of difficulty in building).

Frank