 Trains / 17095
Re: Now what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:20:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Kelly III writes:
I always find these types of comments fascinating.  It could be that LEGO
has changed quite a bit since I was a Model Builder for them.  (Well it’s
changed a lot in that most of the shop I was part of was moved off shore.)

One of the common misconceptions that occurred was that as a model shop we
had this fantastic inventory system and could get any brick we wanted in any
color in any quantity.  Fact of the matter was that we rarely had a complete
selection of even the most current elements.  I find that I have a more
complete assortment of bricks in Conan’s basement then I did in the model
shop.  What the model shop had in quantity was basic bricks and plates.  If
we needed a supply of roof bricks, we’d have to order them.  If we were
lucky, they might be in inventory at the plant down the road.  If they were
not, we’d look overseas to their inventories.  If it wasn’t there, we’d
frequently redesign the model.  That is how expensive it was for a Lego
department to order a molding run done.  We’d do it occasionally.  It
usually meant that we would have boxes and boxes and boxes of that
particular element for months since the minimum production runs were always
greater then the number we needed.

If you consider it was tough for a model shop with 15-25 full time model
builders to justify a production run, imagine how difficult it is for a Lego
Direct sales forecaster.

Perhaps it is, but they made 'recently?' a whole lot of new models for the
LEGOLAND GERMANY park, so, i guess they run a whole lot more bricks than
they used for the models they build. I visited LEGOLAND WINDSOR too in the
opening year and could see in 'MINI EUROPA' that they used a lot of non
commercial colored bricks. If they can make them for there models, why can't
they, let's say, run half a day longer on the same brick/color? Molding a
floppy disk case takes 3.5 to 4 seconds(front and back side). I guess that
molding the regular bricks, and especially the little ones (plates ,technic
pins, ) doesn't take longer than molding a floppy disk case.

I recently placed a 'virtual' model on my home page from a Belgian passenger
car (perhaps also used by the österreich railroad) in ORANGE/White color.
I'm quite sure it will stay an 'virtual' model because we will never get
those pieces in those colors. If interested see :
http://www.geocities.com/ludo_soete/ and select 'Trains & Cars', then scroll
down untill the end.

Regards,
Ludo

<snip>>

Thanks -

-John 3

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Jason J Railton" <j.j.railton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Tom Stangl writes:
Well, they've been CAST in dark grey, just not for public
consumption.  Someone posted a MOC from Europe a copule weeks back,
using the dark grey low slopes gotten from a Red Letter day at Legoland,
from what I can remember.

<snip>

Lawrence