 Trains / 17083
Re: Now what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:22:32 GMT

"Jason J Railton" <j.j.railton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:H07n5n.Fn6@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Tom Stangl writes:
Well, they've been CAST in dark grey, just not for public
consumption.  Someone posted a MOC from Europe a copule weeks back,
using the dark grey low slopes gotten from a Red Letter day at Legoland,
from what I can remember.

Personally, I think they should get working on superlow, low, medium,
and high slopes in ALL shades of grey and black, with as many transition
bricks as possible, so we can really get going on roof designs for
buildings.

That was me, with my version of the Oakham, Rutland (UK) signal box:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/specials/greensig.jpg
I've just about acquired enough dark grey concaves to put proper gables
above the windows of this station too:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/iscc1/004.jpg

But it's insane how hard it is to get the bricks!  The opinions pages on • the
Lego site are full of comments of people wanting a decent supply of roof
bricks in realistic colours, but so far - zip.

If anyone reads that opinions page, where are the roof bricks?  Where are
the steam engine drivers?  People in the UK are paying big wads of cash • for
tours of Legoland largely to get their hands on a few rare bricks!

I have come to the conclusion that Lego, and/or specifically Lego Direct,
have little interest in increasing the variety of bulk bricks on offer.

They have been on sale for a long time now, during which period it has
hardly changed. Yet during that time, they clearly have been producing vast
quantities of all manner of shapes and sizes of bricks which could just as
easily be diverted to bulk supply as any other brick. If they can put black
bricks in a packet, why not grey ones if they are also producing them? If
they can put one type of window in a packet, why not another? There are lots
of windows they are producing in bulk at present - but none are available as
bulk.

And it is not a website issue, that has to be trivial - adding another item
in the ecommerce database.

I can only come to the conclusion that some bright marketing guy has decided
that those people who might be inclined to buy bulk bricks, (i.e serious
enthusiasts) are already willing to buy multiple sets to get hold of the
bulk they need, thus providing much more revenue to Lego than they would if
they only bought the specific brick in bulk.

I don't play that game - so consequently I dont buy anything from Lego.

Despite several ascertains that the range would increase it never has. They
have again recently said it will be increased soon. I am not holding my
breath, and certainly not expecting too much if it is.

Lawrence