 Technic / 15759
Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 00:23:22 GMT

Actualy, I suspect that *is* part of it. If I think of Technic as about
function, not form (or at least making function primary), it makes sense.
Sure, if im building a conceptual MOC, i'll use any colour then when i happy
with the function, i'll rebuild it in the colour i want till im happy with the
form. It's when i've finnished the MOC and its spotted with dots of blue or
several different coloured axles is when i get frustrated

If I take a picture of a robot and find a trace of a
grey axle ticking out, I at least know it's of odd length, which can be a lot of
help in "decoding" what I'm looking at.

Another reason that I actually like the color coding is sorting. Remember the
"sort by type first, not color" idea? I can mix axles if I want and yet find
what I need *MUCH* quicker, and this should work for other parts (especially
pins) as well. Yep, I have mine all sorted out and this is not (at this point) a
really major impact on me... but that's probably not true for folks with smaller
or more poorly sorted collections.

Ha, i was building the other night and dipped into my 7M axle bucket and took
out an 8M light grey that i had sorted incorrectly.
I had to check my 6s and 8s as i was missing a black 7 ! LOL.

Yeah, this is lousy if you are trying for a specific look or color combination
on your models... like the Y-wing, where form is more important than function,
or the odd fusion of form and function that is Model Team. But for "true
Technic", yes, I can see this making a lot of sense. Makes it easier for the
customer, more informative in the model, and *perhaps* (very slightly?) reduces
the number of different colors of certain parts that you have to stock (reduces
costs).

True, some parts need to be standardised, and in my view some do not. I also
believe that some that are standardised could be just as easily identifyable or
producable in a colour that the part was once made in. Finaly, i believe
standardisation does not need to go any further.

I would love to know why blue was chosen over dark grey
as blue does not compliment most colour schemes.

It may have been for exactly that reason - they were *looking* for a
high-contrast color with the existing color schemes (much like red 2L axles) so
those very small parts would stand out from the parts pile.
I think a compromise needs to be found. Yes make it stand out in the pile, but
dont make it stand out on the kit. A neutral colour would be great even if it
was blueish :o)

It seems the rules are bent for other themes.

Huh. From my perspective, it would seem the rules are based on the goals of the
theme. I don't think of this as double standards, as much as I see it as coming
from different design goals for different themes.

Can you please define the goals for us ? I thought there was just one vision, to
play well ?

Why does the old axle joiner need to be standardised ?
for that matter why does any part need to be standardised ?

That I don't know (particularly since the tranmission driving ring just came out
recently after a reasaonbly long absence in the Technic motor kits... and those
need the old axle joiners, correct?).Yes they need axle joiners.
The tans joiners will not be noticable under a now standardised red driving
ring.

Steve