 Technic / 15734
Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 07:17:08 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote:
   Didier, thank you for this knew info.

Sadly, I have a feeling I think I now need to start to horde my old technic axle joiners.

I can understand the monetary reasons for the new part - ease of mold release, mold manufacture, and “undercuts” and such, but I can still sigh.

Regards.

Chris

Agreed, The new part now fits the angle connector mould (excuse pun) but the good news is it should be available in the colour range that angle connectors are available in negating the need for multi coloured notched axle joiners. This single part standardisation should be tolerable if it will be replaced with one that should have all/most colours available to it.

Still, this news brings the “standard part colour” debate back into focus. Although i am an advocate for “any part any colour” and hate to see limits put on part-use because of the colour, i would be quite content if TLG proceeded no further with expanding the range of standardised parts with the exception of Blue Axle Pins. I probably lead this side of the debate but accept its futility.

I heard an April fools joke stating axles and gears would be standardised and although this is the news you bring to the forum, i choose to live in denial until i see it with my own eyes. Not all sets this year use red 2L axles !

I guess my denial comes from an undefined demarcation between what constitutes and standard part and what does not. It also comes from seeing some so-called standard technic parts produced in non standard colours for once off kits or non-technic sets. This inconsistancy provideds more than enough margin of doubt to keep this debate alive until TLG end it.

Unfotunately either it is not seen as a huge issue for them to be concerned with or there is more standardising to do. Where will they stop after gears ?

Atlease TLG produced a list/prommise that some colours would be standardised and never again modyfied. Perhaps a similar list could be produced to definatively identify what makes a standard part just that ?

Until it is clear where the colour standardisation is going and when it will end, I fear the market for Technic lego will decrease accordingly.

I sure hope your news is a follow up to the April fools joke.

IDKWIGTDBISWBBLOYPITF

Steve