 Technic / 15746
Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 06:54:33 GMT

I put a message up on JLUG a few days ago regarding the frustrating direction TLG seem to be taking with Technic: http://www.jlug.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2145

Primariliy regarding Blue Axle pins and how the standard colour does not do any justice to any colour shceme but blue. This matter has been discussed before: http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=15294 pertaining to tan pins and odd length grey axles.

however i think more luggers are seeing colour standardisation to be a bit of a concern to the future of the hobby.

It is disheartening to know that only certain parts will be produced in standard colours.

It is disheartening that those standard colours do not compliment most colour schemes.

It is disheartening to know that some standard parts will be produced in non-standard colours for non technic kits.

It is disheartening to know that the range of parts to be colour standardised does not yet seem to have a boundary.

It is disheartening to know that no other theme appears to be standardising.

All this to make building technic simpler so that it can be sold to a younger audience is great but to quote TLG’s website http://technic.lego.com/en-US/default.aspxas of 15th of May 2007 TECHNIC brings you an exciting and challenging construction experience that lets you create authentic real-life models with lots of working functionalities it seems like a contradiction. making a challenge simpler ? The challenge seems to be derived from the instruction manuals not clearly printing a diifference between black and dark grey parts. The “old days” of Technic had near 40 parts per step, these days it seems near enough to 1 part per step. Bionicle may have something to do with it but this discussion should not involve one of the most favourable and proffitable themes TLG run.

Instead this discussion should be about making technic building simpler yet more challenging. I think a few lines need to be drawn here.

Which age exactly is TLG going to market Technic into the future ?

Which parts are going to be standardised ?

Which parts are not ?

What colours will be considered standard ?

It seems this theme has developed a huge fan base that is being left behind as TLG neglect to mention their future objectives.

Steve