 Announcements / 3514
  Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

Hi, You maybe noticed this year the existence of a new TECHNIC element. A cross axle extension (59443) has appeared and replace the old one (6538). 6538 : (URL) 59443 : (URL) (inventoried as 6538c in Peeron) This new element is simplier than the old (...) (17 years ago, 2-May-07, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.technic, FTX) !

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

Didier, thank you for this knew info. Sadly, I have a feeling I think I now need to start to horde my old technic axle joiners. I can understand the monetary reasons for the new part - ease of mold release, mold manufacture, and "undercuts" and (...) (17 years ago, 2-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Okay, at first look of this part, I was thrilled, but mainly because I'm not a hard core technic builder, and often I prefer form over function. At second look, and some consideration, I was bummed, because I hate the idea of losing function (...) (17 years ago, 3-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Agreed, The new part now fits the angle connector mould (excuse pun) but the good news is it should be available in the colour range that angle connectors are available in negating the need for multi coloured notched axle joiners. This single (...) (17 years ago, 3-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) You might want to try: swearingaboutlego@ya...ups.com.au Steve (17 years ago, 3-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) While I'm sad to see the older ones go, to me this isn't a big deal. (...) I have a much bigger concern about this. Not so much for me, as I imaging I'll get over it if I have to use an ugly colored gear, but this is not so good for actually (...) (17 years ago, 3-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

I like grey gears because to me that's a more mechanical color. Black ones are okay, too, but grey is where it's at. (17 years ago, 4-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Oh God, please tell me this is just another bad joke. There comes a point where you just have to say 'sorry, but if you're too stupid to be able to compare a gear with a perfectly clear design illustration then you should probably just stick (...) (17 years ago, 11-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

Jason J Railton wrote: > Lego - please stop. The majority of your customers do have a brain, and come (...) Could the Bionicle be responsible for that? They use the Technic parts, and they infest Technic too. The age group is quite different to that (...) (17 years ago, 12-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Jindroush-- I'd like to see the colorization stop as well; I don't like the loss of function but the "standardized" colorization...well...I'm really hard core: Technic should have remained "Expert Builder" here in the U.S., and gears should be (...) (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Actually, no it hasn't :( There are new sets of the boat school, chum bucket and something involving that squirrel coming out sometime in 2007 (if they aren't already out) (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Hi Matthew, There are two things I'm sure right now: First, TLC won't answer positively to any and every demand. Second, TLC is listening to us, they are listening to us sincerly. They are listening to us more than I ever dream. Didier (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

I put a message up on JLUG a few days ago regarding the frustrating direction TLG seem to be taking with Technic: (URL) Primariliy regarding Blue Axle pins and how the standard colour does not do any justice to any colour shceme but blue. This (...) (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Hey, I just thought of something. Currently, there's some color-standardization in Technic sets- For example 15L liftarms will be dark bley, and 11L ones are black. Does this mean that 15L liftarms will *always* be the same color? Or just (...) (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Didier-- I am not "demanding" anything! Far too many times here on Lugnet, I have seen some really nasty comments. I wouldn't blame TLC for shutting us all out at times. After attending Brickfest 2007, I know they are listening, and taking (...) (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) **sighs, then grins** Well, so much for that! Since that's the case...could they at least try something with Danny Phantom? Or would that get in the way of the Harry Potter stuff? Play Well and Prosper, Matthew (17 years ago, 15-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) I'm sorry, my english is not so good and "demand" was probably not the best word to express my mind. (...) No, no. That's great comment IMHO. Didier (...) (17 years ago, 16-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Didier-- Thanks for explaining the English thing. In theory, it's my native language. That doen't mean I grasp it at all! **grins** The one drawback to posting or e-mail is that you can't see the body language or facial expression, and hear (...) (17 years ago, 16-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Tim i think you may have missed something and i offer my oppologies, being australian i find it very difficult to explain the obvious and my use of the english language is not as good as it could be. That said my use of the language may not be (...) (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

--snip-- (...) Actually all models (and often themes) do to some degree. Try to find a modern set with the same colour used for horizontal and vertical clips. (...) Presumably that explains why the Liberals are still in. Tim (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Actualy, I suspect that *is* part of it. If I think of Technic as about function, not form (or at least making function primary), it makes sense. The transmission schematics my father worked on, and the rocket schematics I poured over as a (...) (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Being as I'm from the US, perhaps my English isn't as good as it could be... I was basically going off-topic. I understand your concern about certain parts being available in certain colors. But here's my question: We currently see axle pins (...) (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

In lugnet.technic, Timothy P. Smith wrote: SNIP (...) SNIP Sorry for replying to post addressed to someone else. Since TLC invented "studless" Technic, I thought they were trying to make something like MERKUR (= metal construction toys, see (URL) - (...) (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) I see two side to this comment. I completely agree with your comment about colour coded parts distorting the realism of a set, however i believe some parts do not need to be produced in all colours such as gears, hence financial saving could (...) (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) On this, i completely agree. They are two extremely similar parts, and I believe colour standardisation is needed. However, blue and tan ? Frictionless Axle pins were grey, Axle pins with friction were black. Easily distinguishable, neutral (...) (17 years ago, 17-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Sure, if im building a conceptual MOC, i'll use any colour then when i happy with the function, i'll rebuild it in the colour i want till im happy with the form. It's when i've finnished the MOC and its spotted with dots of blue or several (...) (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

In lugnet.announce, Didier Enjary wrote: --snip-- (...) --snip-- Incidentally, both the old and new versions have a useful SNOT function, enabling one to place two 2x2 or larger pieces in a studs-in orientation due to the connector being able to fit (...) (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Dark Bley looks a lot like black in the instructions, I think that was the thinking there. And I don't know if white 2L(*) would be any better than red, from a standing-out point of view. So, maybe Light Bley for friction axle pins, and Tan (...) (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) I'm guessing they didn't want to use lt grey because they don't think kids can easily distinguish pins and axle pins. "Standard" colour of frictionless pins is lt grey. ROSCO (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) "TECHNIC building uses the "module" or "M" as a measurement of length. 1 M is the distance from the center of one hole on a TECHNIC beam to the center of the next hole. " So a 3 L studless beam is actually 2M Steve (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Agreed. Which is when I'd need to go to Bricklink, or hopefully other themes, to try to get the part I want in the color I want. My point was for the Technic *theme*, standardized colors to highlight function or make finding small pieces (...) (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote: **Snip!** (...) Hmmm...that's an interesting thought, and does make a certain amount of logical sense. **sighs** Geeeeeeeez, I hate it when something makes incredible sense like that...! Play Well and Prosper, (...) (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Also, in the distant past TLC has actually produced the non friction variety of axle pin in black (I own a few myself). Although that probably doesn't matter to TLC :) (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Ugh. Is that metric? And you only count center-to-center, not the ends? Leave it Lego to think of something like this. (17 years ago, 18-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) That can not be true. For example, if you look at page three of the lego factory technic section, what we call a 1x3 liftarm thin is described as 3M. --Peter (17 years ago, 19-May-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) (URL) Dont shoot the messenger ! Steve (17 years ago, 20-May-07, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts

(...) Hmm. That would seem to imply that a 1x3 thin liftarm is, indeed, 3M long. Yes, "M" is defined as the distance between two hole centers, but the length of the piece can be cleanly read off the graph behind it - 3M. (17 years ago, 21-May-07, to lugnet.technic)

  Non-standard uses for parts

(...) A corollary to this (that I discovered yesterday - apologies if this is already well known) is that you can use a bushing to lock a driving ring to the axle - the same notches that allow the bushing to fit between four studs will act as the (...) (14 years ago, 9-Jan-10, to lugnet.technic, FTX)