 Technic / 15732
Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 13:39:28 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Didier Enjary wrote:
   Hi,

You maybe noticed this year the existence of a new TECHNIC element. A cross axle extension (59443) has appeared and replace the old one (6538).

While I’m sad to see the older ones go, to me this isn’t a big deal.

   Concerning color coding process, you will also discover in the months to come that the gears , the same way pins and axles, are color coded (in this case with tan, grey, dark grey and black). This coding is aimed at ease the distinction between gear’s size and straight, bevel, crown, worm and idle gears.

I have a much bigger concern about this. Not so much for me, as I imaging I’ll get over it if I have to use an ugly colored gear, but this is not so good for actually learning with TECHNIC elements. When coaching our FLL team, we teach them things like counting the teeth and looking at the teeth to distinguish between straight, bevel, double-bevel, etc. All lessons that can be applied to non-Lego gears. Now if they are all color-coded, I fear these lessons will lose their impact for the kids. We can continue to stress the importance of them, but they’ll lose their impact. I think this is an important real-world lesson that can be taught using Lego elements. Kids pick up on it pretty quickly.

Oh well, c’est la vie I guess

John