 Space / 31572
Re: Argent Supra
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 03:43:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Banks wrote:

WOW. These (http://www.lugnet.com/~164/sci-fi) really make me want to pull out my legos and build again.

That’s the main reason I post. Good to hear!

I am curious, what is your process? Do you draw on paper then use LDraw or something similar to design and then build? Do you buy sets to get the parts you need, or do you buy bags of specific parts?

I’ve occasionally sketched a MOC beforehand, and I build with a supply of parts both from sets (which encourage new ideas) and from Bricklink (which facilitates existing ideas). I tried LDraw but I found it too slow and cumbersome.

Mainly I build according to an initial idea, typically it will be a concept that appeals to me, like folding-out weaponry, fighter bays or giant engines. Then (and often separately) I will build some component doodads like engines, a cockpit area, or maybe some wing parts, and then I’ll spend a lot of time arranging the parts to find the most aesthetically-pleasing configuration which also fits the overall concept.

That’s the crucial part, and I think where a lot of people fall down. Their design method seems to involve making some extremely cool doodads which use parts cleverly, and then whack the lot together, overlooking (or even sacrificing) form and concept in the process. So it’ll have some really clever construction details, but the overall form or concept won’t actually be that exciting. It’ll be just another spaceship that happens to use parts cleverly. I don’t know about you, but that’s not enough to get me going. Execution is important, but I prefer form and concept. That’s why this is one of my favourite ships, even though it didn’t recieve much attention:

http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=26035

I just found it visually and conceptually really inspiring. Building a similar ship is definitely in my plans.

The galvenon really makes me feel like building, because I haven’t really bought a set in a few years, so most of my legos are really old school. So I don’t have the parts to building stuff like the Supra.

Clever construction methods are reputed to be a result of necessity, but frankly in my case they’re just the result of having the luxury of a large collection. I’m sure you could build something which looked just as cool from classic space parts.

These ships are just awesome.

WOW

Thanks Mike. I look forward to seeing the ships you make when you pull out your legos and start building again...

Cheers,