  Re: When the world was young...

(...) That said, is there any plot going on here concerning this here sword? Or said '3-mile-high-castle'? Is the goal to capture the sword? Might the sword be guarded by some 3rd party? Perhaps capturing the sword is only useful insofar as it's a (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Oh yes! The Sword of Agot will be there for the taking, but it shouldn't be the only thing to focus on...afterall, if you hack all of your opponents to bits, there really is not need for the Sword. AND, the Sword will *not* be so powerful that (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Ahh, cool :) Yeah, that's more or less what I thought would be cool-- the sword is really helpful, but if you're restricted to running up to enemies and slashing them, it doesn't prevent you from being killed along the way or whatever. (...) (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) <SNIP> (...) Exactly...it's good to have, but you still are not invulnerable from flying cows and what not. (...) Woa...it's to bad they don't make any in green and brown, but we can easily add bits and pieces of earth and vegitation once the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I'll have to see what I can dig up... I've been sorting my basic bricks now that the Hoth base is down-- All the grey & white we could want. Tan, Green, & Brown are great for scenery, though... maybe if we get a 'basic' idea for a layout we (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I could work on a ruff layout if I had a list of things we wanted to include on the layout. I have a bunch of green, brown, and extra NELUG gray bricks that I can use for this event. Plus I can use some of the gorge sections. <snip> (...) So (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) ... can't let you guys have all the fun now ... Anyway, here's my thoughts: I like the 50 CP total limit per character ... that allowed for a ton of creativity, but prevented any trooper from being overly powerful. And it's a nice balance .. (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Word has it that Dave has been busy with a fine-tipped paintbrush. So far, all of his troops have plate armor, warp engines, and poisonous fangs. And wings. And, strangely, John Travolta chest hair. I've got photographs to prove it! :P We (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Well, ok, a magic plate armor and sword aren't good examples, but let's just say a mega-powerful character doesn't need to worry much about where on the board he is. Consider Neil's necromancer. Ouch. (...) They actually already have AV for (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Is there some way of allowing the switching of items between troops without one warrior becoming to powerful. Maybe we limit the range of SP weapons or make long range SP powers only an ability of the minifig. Are there rules on what a Mage (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) <SNIP> (...) Oh man, you gave me an idea...what if *no* units inherently possed any magic and it is *always* derived from objects? We could scatter these objects which have various powers all over the place and depending on what you find/take, (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) The basic recipe was: Take 250 CP and cram it into one minifig, predominately in SP. Equip the necromancer with two spells (to save on the cost of SP): fireball raise/animate/control dead The basic strategy was: Hole up in some corner (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Ack, it's a great idea, but I have a wonderful troop who needs a magical backpack and another that needs a magical cloak. I still love the idea, but taking away the magic items or abilities of the troops will make then a lot less interesting (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Well, the concept behind the Necromancer was basically that the *Necromancer* himself didn't matter. His sole purpose was to enhance his own troops. Let's say you had an army of 20 figs, each 50 points. 19 of them are non-pacifistic slaves, (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) NOW we're talking! How's about: Europe, mid 1300s. Castles, knights, damsels, catapults, and so on. Without warning or explanation, there is an upswing in the potency of magic. Typical corner fortune tellers and soothsayers suddenly display (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) You...what...but...huh? I was thinking how cool it would be that *any* unit in posession of a magical object reaps its benefits. The exception would be a book of spells (which needs to be read). But if you found a red mystical gem, you would (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean to get so wrapped up. Of course anybody could pick up a magical sword, chalice, amulet, talisman, armor, shield, plunger, or what have you ... but spellbooks, with things like fireballs and levitate and stuff like (...) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I kinda like the idea-- We could go for some extra added randomness too, by doing something like: - Each team brings.. oh... 10 magical objects (or whatever). - Each of the 20 objects are put into brown treasure chests (or some other type of (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

<snip> (...) I created a ruff draft of what I think would be an interesting layout: (URL) to warn you, this file may end up getting deleted by the moderator. I've used a modular system to the design to allow us to build seperate sections. Most of (...) (21 years ago, 5-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

<snip> (...) Well it was. Here is another link: (URL) you get an error page, just try viewing it later. Geocities won't let that many people view the page at the same time. <snip> Jonathan (21 years ago, 5-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

I'm thinking the mountain-castle should be in the center. Keep in mind that we'll most likely have three armies and we will not want any unfair advantage from board placement. Of course, you can still have the river encircle the base of the (...) (21 years ago, 6-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Regarding Scenery: I have a couple of items to offer up. I alluded to them in another post, but never gave any dimensions: (1) Tall tower castle - the base of the tower will fit on a large baseplate (2) Small hill and pond - two large (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Okay, here's an idea that might work for everyone. I *do* like the idea of granting certain magical powers (spell casting) through objects, *but* I also think these objects are special. So my idea is that while any unit can pick it up, no unit (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Are magical items resistant to fire? If they aren't then I should proably avoid picking them up since I am prone to firey deaths. (...) Do we have a willing neutral to scatter the items? (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Hmm... quite interesting. Effectively, if (say) I pick up some magical plate armor that ends up *forcing* me to run everywhere in straight lines at twice my move rate every turn, I would have to drop any plate armor (or other thing that might (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I was thinking whoever touches it automatically gets equiped with it, so your only choices are to pick it up or leave it (or position another unit to grab it). As for when you find out what it does, I kind of like the idea of not knowing until (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) How about this? And I steal this, without apology, from the classic ASCII graphics game "Rogue", which was the predecessor to "Moria": The function of an item is unknown until it is used ... and items with penalties are considered "cursed", (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I'm all for this approach. One thing to note though - if you are already wearing a chainmail, you just wouldn't be able to touch that glowing piece of platemail on the ground, unless you remove the armor you're wearing beforehand. right? Also, (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Unless this is just randomly rolled as a particular race touches the object, it would mean that we would need to know all of the races beforehand...something I'm loath to do at this point. I also kind of like the idea that the same (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I'm thinking that since this is magic, the magic armor would "magically" replace your existing armor, so that it takes at the end of the movement phase. Your old armor would just be left on the ground. (...) *Love* this! (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) but that means that you'll be able to switch back and fourth... now, if the old armor magically disappears, that's a different story. Do you dare try on the new armor? It might be better than your "thong +3", but it might not! (...) does that (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) You forget, you can't get rid of the magic item unless you die (well, that's what I'm proposing). Think "face-hugger" like in the movie Aliens...once it's their, you're bound to it. Only death will set you free. Only in this case, it might be (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Well... Let's say you're wearing a magic armor plate. Then you find *another* magic armor plate. Does it magically replace the one you're wearing? Does it create a matter/anti-matter paradox of both objects vying in utter contest to be worn, (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) I knew you were going to ask that...I would say that a unit can only possess one of any kind of magic item (thus limiting their total ability to consume all magic in the world) and once they have an item of that type, that's it, so any future (...) (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Hiya Jonathan, If you don't mind my asking, why was the original deleted during moderation? For everyone's benefit, I also uploaded a bunch of pics of my various Scenery MOCs (after moderation): Green Rolling Hill: (URL) Outcropping: (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

<snip> (...) The orginal was deleted, because I was trying to sneaky. Brickshelf automatically deletes any file that has an .htm extension. I've found on most web sites that if you open a .txt file that has html tags in it, those tags will be used (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Brickle Earth

(...) Actually, the moderators beat me to the punch. Grrrr, those pesky, efficient moderators ... (...) Does that mean I'm ill? -s (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Brickle Earth

(...) My, yes! That vast intellect of yours and all you could come up with was "Brickle?" It's truly a day of mourning for Geeks, Nerds and Dorks the world round... Didn't you come up with "Little Earth" earlier? I like that. "Studded Earth" is also (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) Copied briefly to .castle because the images inspire... Shaun, I envy the amount of green ABS you have! That rolling hill is the sort of thing I dream of doing for my landscapes, and the design concept for your trees is beautiful! I have a few (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.castle)

  Re: When the world was young...

(...) got the curved shapes just perfect, and the movement from studs to tiles makes a great contrast. I've got to get a bigger pile of green plates. Bruce (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: When the world was young...

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message news:HD1C9t.1G85@lugnet.com... (...) (URL) love the arch over the entrance to the tower. A clever idea that begs to be copied ;-) (...) And rightly so, they sure do. Cheers, Twan. (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Brikwars Scenery

Hey guys, I finished most of the mountain for this game. It is 96x96 and about 22 bricks high. It has a 32x64 flat spot on the top that we can put Shaun's castle on. The mountain is also designed to sit on the table or on posts. I was thinking about (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Brikwars Scenery

Jonathan, Let me be the first to say that the mountain looks *awesome*!! I love the stairways, the nooks, the crannies, and the sheer size of it. My LORD, that is cool. I think you have a good point about the raised scenery everywhere - I know I (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Brikwars Scenery

Thank you, I love building scuplture and if I had enough green brick I would have covered the table. I know most people don't have a lot of brick that is why I wanted to put the baseplates on supports and not build the baseplates up to the desired (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)