Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:58:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
Oh man, you gave me an idea...what if *no* units inherently possed any magic
and it is *always* derived from objects?  We could scatter these objects
which have various powers all over the place and depending on what you
find/take, those are the abilities that you get (for the unit that posses
it)?  One modification to this is that perhaps each side gets *one*
magic-being character (like Merlin) as they see fit, but all other majic
comes from the objects as I've just mentioned.  Just a thought.

NOW we're talking!  How's about:

Europe, mid 1300s.  Castles, knights, damsels, catapults, and so on.

Without warning or explanation, there is an upswing in the potency of magic.
Typical corner fortune tellers and soothsayers suddenly display impressive acts
of mystical insight, while the more serious of the practitioners -
illusionists, alchemists, arcanists, witch doctors, etc. - suddenly find
themselves tingling with an inexplicable energy.  Where before their
experiences had been mere showmanship and frustrating dead-ends, their
backgrounds now grant them access to new-found power and divination.

Keep in mind, these are times when the entire worlds' understanding and
background, even those with new-found magical powers, are grounded in the real,
the tangible, the physical.  So, in truth, even the most magical of individuals
"before the rift" are still pretty weak by comparison with our wizards of
legend - hence the 50 CP cap, and a probable limit of but one or two magic
users per side.

HOWEVER, rumors have stretched from one end of Europe to the other, of the
origin of this unleashed magical energy.  Not an explanation of its advent,
just a location.  Various lieges, religious leaders, powerbrokers, and minor
players throughout Europe send legions of their troops, along with their most
trusted or powerful magical subjects, to the source, in the hopes of garnering
enough understanding, enough power, and enough insight that their claims for
supremacy might stand unthreatened.  Kings want their troops and magicians to
become all-powerful, religious leaders hope to see their paladins bestowed with
holy smiting power, and even the random barbarian warlord sojourns to the
source in the hopes of becoming a godlike warrior.

So it is that various factions start to arrive in a land rent by the release of
magical energy.  As they approach the mystical source, they stumble upon more
and more legendary creatures: goblins, orcs, living undead.  And scattered
throughout the land, they find various magical objects that were created,
appeared, or were dragged by unknown creatures of the night in this land of
mystery.

Like I said, even the magic users are new to this stuff.  Your regular troop is
well beyond his experiences ... but bravely soldiers on.

I like this idea: some of the magical items throughout the land are spellbooks.
Of course, very few can read them!  Heroes, perhaps, certainly magic users.
Maybe some others, who have paid the 3 CP for literacy (Literacy: Costs 5-TL
CP, with a minimum of zero).  So troops can collect spellbooks, but they are
useless until they are in the hands of someone who can make use of them.

It also helps explain why there might be some odd races skulking about, maybe
even teaming up with legions of troops.  They either emanate from the great
Rifts in the fabric of the physical world that released magic, or they are
drawn to it for the seductive power it offers.

Furthermore, this lets each side create a story behind them.  Are they a
delegation sent from Rome to wipe out all demonic lore?  Are they a band of
Barbarian warriors who want to become strong enough to beat back the Knights?
Are they the forces of a greedy king, who hopes to use magic to conquer new
lands?

Maybe we could tie something like this into Joe's story?

Just a thought ...

-s