Re: Brikwars Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:06:22 GMT

Thank you, I love building scuplture and if I had enough green brick I would
have covered the table.

I know most people don't have a lot of brick that is why I wanted to put the
baseplates on supports and not build the baseplates up to the desired height.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/supports.jpg

By using supports you can use less brick and it doesn't matter what color
they are.  Now you would have still needed a few brick to cover the gaps
between the baseplates, but that would only have been 64x1 bumps worth of
green as a minimum.

I still think trying to coordinate how these raised baseplates would then
interact with each other is too complex so lets just go with a flat design
instead.  Does anyone feel like building a river?

Jonathan

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Jonathan,

Let me be the first to say that the mountain looks *awesome*!!  I love the
stairways, the nooks, the crannies, and the sheer size of it.  My LORD, that is
cool.

I think you have a good point about the raised scenery everywhere - I know I
won't have nearly enough pieces to raise any of my items above baseplate level,
really.  I think using baseplates, with as much scenery of note on top of them,
will be fine.  So far we have trees, huts, houses, rock outcroppings,
blacksmith shops ... this is going to be another amazing-scenery game!

Thanks for posting the pictures, Jonathan.  Very inspirational!

-s

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
Hey guys,

I finished most of the mountain for this game.  It is 96x96 and about 22
bricks high.  It has a 32x64 flat spot on the top that we can put Shaun's
castle on.  The mountain is also designed to sit on the table or on posts.

I was thinking about the map I made and thought that it might be too much
for us to build.  If you guys think that having the baseplates at different
heights is too complex we can simply do a flat landscape with some hills and
out croppings placed on top.  I would like to keep the river, but we'll
either use river plates (which I don't own any of) or add blue plates on top
of the baseplates.

Look and enjoy Mount Agot:
or
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain1.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain1a.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain2.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain3.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain4.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain5.jpg
www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/brikwars/042003brikwars/mountain6.jpg

Jonathan D.

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
<snip>

I created a ruff draft of what I think would be an interesting layout:
http:///april2003/april2003.txt
Just to warn you, this file may end up getting deleted by the moderator.

Well it was.
Here is another link:
http://www.geocities.com/ilikeitgui/april2003/april-2003.htm
If you get an error page, just try viewing it later.  Geocities won't let
that many people view the page at the same time.

Hiya Jonathan,

If you don't mind my asking, why was the original deleted during moderation?

For everyone's benefit, I also uploaded a bunch of pics of my various Scenery
MOCs (after moderation):

Green Rolling Hill: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=39711
Rock Outcropping: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=39152
Modular Tower Castle: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=39701
Trees: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=39705

The Post-and-Beam house is still forthcoming ... some more details need to be
added.

LMKWYT,
-s